The effect of multinationality measures upon the risk-return performance of US firms
AbstractThis study analyses the effect of a firm's overseas activities upon its risk-return performance for a sample of US firms (including multinational enterprises and domestic firms) by using different multinationality measures. The test results indicate that firms with a greater share of overseas activities have a greater opportunity to achieve a better risk-return performance than those with little foreign involvement. More importantly, for a firm which meets the basic requirement of multinationality (for MNEs as a whole), the number of foreign markets served has a minimal influence on its performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 5 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:michin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- Morck, Randall & Yeung, Bernard, 1991.
"Why Investors Value Multinationality,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(2), pages 165-87, April.
- Agmon, Tamir & Lessard, Donald R, 1977. "Investor Recognition of Corporate International Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1049-55, September.
- Chwo-Ming J Yu & Kiyohiko Ito, 1988. "Oligopolistic Reaction and Foreign Direct Investment: The Case of the U.S. Tire and Textiles Industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 449-460, September.
- Thomas L Brewer, 1993. "Government Policies, Market Imperfections, and Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 101-120, March.
- Hughes, John S. & Logue, Dennis E. & Sweeney, Richard James, 1975. "Corporate International Diversification and Market Assigned Measures of Risk and Diversification," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(04), pages 627-637, November.
- Wolf, Bernard M, 1977. "Industrial Diversification and Internationalization: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 177-91, December.
- Buckley, Peter J & Dunning, John H & Pearce, Robert D, 1984. "An Analysis of the Growth and Profitability of the World's Largest Firms, 1972 to 1977," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 3-26.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992.
"Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
2914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991. "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1191-217, November.
- Constatinos C Markides & Christopher D Ittner, 1994. "Shareholder Benefits from Corporate International Diversification: Evidence from U.S. International Acquisitions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 343-366, June.
- Hirsch, Seev & Lev, Baruch, 1971. "Sales Stabilization Through Export Diversification," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 270-77, August.
- Allen Michel & Israel Shaked, 1986. "Multinational Corporations vs Domestic Corporations: Financial Performance and Characteristics," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(3), pages 89-100, September.
- Fatemi, Ali M, 1984. " Shareholder Benefits from Corporate International Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1325-44, December.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Peter Buckley & John Dunning & Robert Pearce, 1978. "The influence of firm size, industry, nationality, and degree of multinationality on the growth and profitability of the World’s largest firms, 1962–1972," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 243-257, June.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Errunza, Vihang R & Senbet, Lemma W, 1981. "The Effects of International Operations on the Market Value of the Firm: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 401-17, May.
- W. Chan Kim, 1989. "Note---Developing a Global Diversification Measure," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(3), pages 376-383, March.
- Dunning, John H, 1979. "Explaining Changing Patterns of International Production: In Defence of the Eclectic Theory," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 41(4), pages 269-95, November.
- Sushil Vachani, 1991. "Distinguishing Between Related and Unrelated International Geographic Diversification: A Comprehensive Measure of Global Diversification," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(2), pages 307-322, June.
- Stehle, Richard E, 1977. "An Empirical Test of the Alternative Hypotheses of National and International Pricing of Risky Assets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 493-502, May.
- Lloyd, William P., 1975. "International portfolio diversification of real assets: An inquiry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 113-120, April.
- Will Mitchell & J Myles Shaver & Bernard Yeung, 1993. "Performance Following Changes of International Presence in Domestic and Transition Industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 647-669, December.
- Robert M Grant, 1987. "Multinationality and Performance among British Manufacturing Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(3), pages 79-89, September.
- Israel Shaked, 1986. "Are Multinational Corporations Safer?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 17(1), pages 83-106, March.
- Dunning, John H, 1973. "The Determinants of International Production," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 289-336, November.
- Mauri, Alfredo J. & Lin, Jing & Neiva De Figueiredo, João, 2013. "The influence of strategic patterns of internationalization on the accuracy and bias of earnings forecasts by financial analysts," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 725-735.
- Mauri, Alfredo J. & Neiva de Figueiredo, João, 2012. "Strategic Patterns of Internationalization and Performance Variability: Effects of US-Based MNC Cross-Border Dispersion, Integration, and Outsourcing," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 38-51.
- Andersen, Torben Juul, 2012. "Multinational risk and performance outcomes: Effects of knowledge intensity and industry context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 239-252.
- Qian, Gongming & Li, Ji, 1998. "Multinationality, global market diversification, and risk performance for the largest U.S. firms," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 149-170, October.
- Vincent Mok & Godfrey Yeung & Zhaozhou Han & Zongzhang Li, 2010. "Export orientation and technical efficiency: clothing firms in China," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(7), pages 453-463.
- Desbordes, Rodolphe, 2007. "The sensitivity of U.S. multinational enterprises to political and macroeconomic uncertainty: A sectoral analysis," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 732-750, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.