Multinational Corporations vs Domestic Corporations: Financial Performance and Characteristics
AbstractThe analysis in this paper is composed of two segments. First, the financial performance of a sample of multinational corporations (MNCs) is compared with that derived for a control group of domestic corporations (DMCs) using market-based performance measures. Then, the paper presents a comparison of selected financial characteristics of the firms in the two groups. The results suggest the DMCs appear to have a significantly superior risk-adjusted market-based performance, are significantly less capitalized, and have higher total risk as well as higher systematic risk. The fact that MNCs are substantially larger than DMCs is not found to be a significant factor in explaining the observed difference between the two groups' performance.© 1986 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1986) 17, 89–100
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 17 (1986)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alan M. Rugman & George Yip & Saliya Jayaratne, 2007. "A Note on Return on Foreign Assets and Foreign Presence for UK Multinationals," Working Papers 2007-10, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Joliet, Robert & Muller, Aline, 2013. "Capital structure effects of international expansion," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 375-393.
- Pangarkar, Nitin, 2008. "Internationalization and performance of small- and medium-sized enterprises," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 475-485, October.
- Christophe, Stephen E. & Lee, Hun, 2005. "What matters about internationalization: a market-based assessment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(5), pages 636-643, May.
- Shou-Min Tsao & Guang-Zheng Chen, 2012. "The impact of internationalization on performance and innovation: The moderating effects of ownership concentration," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 617-642, September.
- Garbe, Jan-Nicolas & Richter, Nicole Franziska, 2009. "Causal analysis of the internationalization and performance relationship based on neural networks -- advocating the transnational structure," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 413-431, December.
- de Jong, Gjalt & van Houten, Jerry, 2014. "The impact of MNE cultural diversity on the internationalization-performance relationship," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 313-326.
- Qian, Gongming, 1996. "The effect of multinationality measures upon the risk-return performance of US firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 247-265, June.
- Petre Brezeanu & Lucian Ionescu & Cristina Maria Triandafil, 2009. "Country Risk Within CEE Area: Empirical Perspective on Corporate Cost of Equity," Annals of the University of Petrosani, Economics, University of Petrosani, Romania, vol. 9(3), pages 81-86.
- McDougall, Patricia Phillips & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 1996. "New venture internationalization, strategic change, and performance: A follow-up study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, January.
- Chkir, Imed Eddine & Cosset, Jean-Claude, 2001. "Diversification strategy and capital structure of multinational corporations," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 17-37, February.
- Heyder, Matthias & Makus, Christian & Theuvsen, Ludwig, 2011. "Internationalization and Firm Performance in Agribusiness: Empirical Evidence from European Cooperatives," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 2(1).
- Qian, Gongming, 2002. "Multinationality, product diversification, and profitability of emerging US small- and medium-sized enterprises," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 611-633, October.
- Eckert, Stefan & Dittfeld, Marcus & Muche, Thomas & Rässler, Susanne, 2010. "Does multinationality lead to value enhancement? An empirical examination of publicly listed corporations from Germany," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 562-574, December.
- Oladottir, Asta Dis & Hobdari, Bersant & Papanastassiou, Marina & Pearce, Robert & Sinani, Evis, 2012. "Strategic complexity and global expansion: An empirical study of newcomer Multinational Corporations from small economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 686-695.
- LiPuma, Joseph A., 2012. "Internationalization and the IPO performance of new ventures," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 914-921.
- Singh, Manohar & Davidson, Wallace III & Suchard, Jo-Ann, 2003. "Corporate diversification strategies and capital structure," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 147-167.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Berrill, Jenny & Hutson, Elaine & Kearney, Colm, 2011. "What is a multinational corporation? Classifying the degree of firm-level multinationality," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 557-577, October.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Kyaw, NyoNyo Aung, 2010. "Capital structure, dividend policy, and multinationality: Theory versus empirical evidence," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 140-150, March.
- McMillan, David G. & Camara, Omar, 2012. "Dynamic capital structure adjustment: US MNCs & DCs," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 278-301.
- Sukpanich, Nessara & Rugman, Alan, 2007. "Intra-regional sales, product diversity, and the performance of merchandising multinationals," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 131-146, June.
- Contractor, Farok J. & Kumar, Vikas & Kundu, Sumit K., 2007. "Nature of the relationship between international expansion and performance: The case of emerging market firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 401-417, December.
- Khavul, Susanna & Pérez-Nordtvedt, Liliana & Wood, Eric, 2010. "Organizational entrainment and international new ventures from emerging markets," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 104-119, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.