Macroeconomic Instability and Business Exit: Determinants of Failures and Acquisitions of UK Firms
AbstractWe study the impact of the macroeconomic environment on business exit in a world where acquisition and bankruptcy are co-determined. We estimate competing risk hazard regression models using data on UK quoted firms spanning a 38-year period that witnessed several business cycles. We find that the processes determining bankruptcies and acquisitions depend on the macroeconomic environment. In particular, macroeconomic instability has opposing effects on bankruptcy hazard and acquisition hazard, raising the former and lowering the latter. While bankruptcy hazard is counter-cyclical and acquisition hazard pro-cyclical, the US business cycle is a better predictor than the UK cycle itself. Copyright (c) The London School of Economics and Political Science 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 76 (2009)
Issue (Month): 301 (02)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Loderer, Claudio & Waelchli, Urs, 2010. "Firm age and performance," MPRA Paper 26450, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bhattacharjee, A. & Holly, S., 2010.
"Understanding Interactions in Social Networks and Committees,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
1003, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Arnab Bhattacharjee & Sean Holly, 2013. "Understanding Interactions in Social Networks and Committees," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 23-53, March.
- Arnab Bhattacharjee & Sean Holly, 2010. "Understanding Interactions in Social Networks and Committees," CDMA Working Paper Series 201004, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Bhattacharjee, Arnab & Holly, Sean, 2009. "Understanding Interactions in Social Networks and Committees," SIRE Discussion Papers 2009-53, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Marina-Eliza Spaliara & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2009.
"The role of bond finance in firms' survival during the Asian crisis,"
Discussion Paper Series
2009_17, Department of Economics, Loughborough University.
- Marina-Eliza Spaliara & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2010. "The Role of Bond Finance in Firms' Survival During the Asian Crisis," Working Papers 032010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2012.
"Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(3), pages 316-337, 07.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010. "Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles," FIW Working Paper series 055, FIW.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2009. "Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles," Working Papers 2009-18, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010. "Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles," WIFO Working Papers 377, WIFO.
- Spaliara, Marina-Eliza & Tsoukas, Serafeim, 2013. "What matters for corporate failures in Asia? Exploring the role of firm-specific characteristics during the Asian crisis," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 83-96.
- Vera Rocha & Anabela Carneiro & Celeste Amorim Varum, 2013. "Entrepreneurship Dynamics: Entry Routes, Business-Owner's Persistence and Exit Modes," CEF.UP Working Papers 1310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Bruneau, C. & de Bandt, O. & El Amri, W., 2012. "Macroeconomic fluctuations and corporate financial fragility," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 219-235.
- Bhattacharjee, A. & Samarjit Das, 2002. "Testing Proportionality in Duration Models with Respect to Continuous Covariates," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0220, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.