Firm growth : a survey
AbstractWe survey the phenomenon of the growth of firms drawing on literature from economics, management and sociology. We begin with a review of empirical "stylised facts" before discussing theoretical contributions. Firm growth is characterized by a predominant stochastic element, making it difficult to predict. Indeed, previous empirical research into the determinants of firm growth has had a limited success. We also observe that theoretical propositions concerning the growth of firms are often amiss. We conclude that progress in this area requires solid empirical work, perhaps making use of novel statistical techniques.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne in its series Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne with number r07024.
Length: 73 pages
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Firm growth; size distribution; growth rates distribution; Gibrat's law; theory of the firm; diversification; "stages of growth" models.;
Other versions of this item:
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-06-30 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2007-06-30 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-TID-2007-06-30 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Worker democracy works
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2011-02-04 11:53:30
- The markets paradox
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2013-01-14 14:24:23
- The management question
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2013-09-10 12:49:15
- Limits of managerialism
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2013-10-20 12:05:12
- Organizational stupidity
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2011-09-23 13:23:58
- Rebekah Brooks & modern management
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2011-07-05 11:19:43
- Cable on competition
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2010-09-22 15:06:31
- A place for choice
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2010-08-10 13:05:28
- Arguing for co-ops I: growth
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2008-10-05 10:21:19
- Do recessions raise productivity?
by chris dillow in Stumbling and Mumbling on 2008-08-25 10:52:38
- Alessandra Colombelli & Naciba Haned & Christian Le Bas, 2011.
"On Firm Growth and Innovation. Some new empirical perspectives using French CIS (1992-2004),"
ICER Working Papers
07-2011, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Colombelli, Alessandra & Haned, Naciba & Le Bas, Christian, 2013. "On firm growth and innovation: Some new empirical perspectives using French CIS (1992–2004)," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 14-26.
- Koski, Heli, 2011. "Does Marginal Cost Pricing of Public Sector Information Spur Firm Growth?," Discussion Papers 1260, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Johansson, Dan, 2008.
"Gazelles as Job Creators – A Survey and Interpretation of the Evidence,"
Ratio Working Papers
117, The Ratio Institute.
- Magnus Henrekson & Dan Johansson, 2010. "Gazelles as job creators: a survey and interpretation of the evidence," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 227-244, September.
- Henrekson, Magnus & Johansson, Dan, 2008. "Gazelles as Job Creators – A Survey and Interpretation of the Evidence," Working Paper Series 733, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Alex Coad, 2008.
"Distance to Frontier and Appropriate Business Strategy,"
DRUID Working Papers
08-05, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Alex Coad, 2008. "Distance to Frontier and Appropriate Business Strategy," LEM Papers Series 2008/13, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Alexander Coad, 2008. "Distance to Frontier and Appropriate Business Strategy," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2008-07, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Deschryvere, Matthias, 2008. "High Growth Firms and Job Creation in Finland," Discussion Papers 1144, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Pitelis, Christos & Panagopoulos, Andreas, 2009. "Open innovation and the management of intra-firm conflict," MPRA Paper 23940, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2008:i:9:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2009. "Firm Performance during Global Economic Slowdown: A View from India," MPRA Paper 17145, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lunardi, José T. & Miccichè, Salvatore & Lillo, Fabrizio & Mantegna, Rosario N. & Gallegati, Mauro, 2014. "Do firms share the same functional form of their growth rate distribution? A statistical test," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 140-164.
- Alexander Coad & Rekha Rao, 2007. "The Employment Effects of Innovations in High-Tech Industries," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-05, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- A. Arrighetti & A. Ninni, 2009. "Firm size and growth opportunities: a survey," Economics Department Working Papers 2009-EP05, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Greene, Francis, 2012. "Should the focus of publicly provided small business assistance be on start-ups or growth businesses?," Occasional Papers 12/2, Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand.
- Alexander Coad, 2007. "Disentangling the firm growth process: evidence from a recursive panel VAR," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-15, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00642688 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.