Macroeconomic determinants of corporate failures: evidence from the UK
AbstractPrevious studies on the relationship between macroeconomic aggregates and business failures have been restricted to the description of the short-run relationships among the variables. This paper uses an error-correction model (ECM) to investigate the determinants of UK corporate failures by modelling the short-run and long-run behaviours of corporate failure rates in relation to macroeconomic phenomena over the period 1966-1999. The findings indicate that failure rates are associated with interest rates, credit, profits, price, and corporate birth rates both in the short run and in the long run. Of these macroeconomic variables, interest rate appears to be an important factor influencing failure rates and can be used as a feasible policy instrument to reduce the incidence of corporate failures. The impact of the Insolvency Act 1986 has also been examined and its mitigating effect on corporate failures has been identified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Platt, Harlan D. & Platt, Marjorie B., 1994. "Business cycle effects on state corporate failure rates," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 113-127, May.
- Wadhwani, Sushil B, 1986. "Inflation, Bankruptcy, Default Premia and the Stock Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(381), pages 120-38, March.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1994.
"Is there a broad credit channel for monetary policy?,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
146, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stephen D. Oliner & Glenn D. Rudebusch, 1996. "Is there a broad credit channel for monetary policy?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 3-13.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Andreas Stephan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2005.
"Uncertainty Determinants of Corporate Liquidity,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
634, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 09 Oct 2006.
- Oleksandr Talavera & Christopher Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Andreas Stephan, 2005. "Uncertainty Determinants of Corporate Liquidity," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2005 73, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Andreas Stephan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2006. "Uncertainty Determinants of Corporate Liquidity," Working Papers 2006_1, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Christopher F. Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Andreas Stephan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2006. "Uncertainty Determinants of Corporate Liquidity," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 633, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Arnab Bhattacharjee & Chris Higson & Sean Holly & Paul Kattuman, 2007. "Macroeconomic Conditions and Business Exit: Determinants of Failures and Acquisitions of UK Firms," CDMA Working Paper Series 200713, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Agustinus, Prasetyantoko & Rachmadi, Parmono, 2008. "Determinants of Corporate Performance of Listed Companies in Indonesia," MPRA Paper 6777, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Salman, A. Khalik & von Friedrichs, Yvonne & Shukur, Ghazi, 2009. "Macroeconomic Factors and Swedish Small and Medium-Sized Manufacturing Firm Failure," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 185, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Harada, Nobuyuki & Kageyama, Noriyuki, 2011. "Bankruptcy dynamics in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 119-128, March.
- Nico Dewaelheyns & Cynthia Hulle, 2008. "Legal reform and aggregate small and micro business bankruptcy rates: evidence from the 1997 Belgian bankruptcy code," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 409-424, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.