Determinantes de la morosidad bancaria en una economía dolarizada. El caso uruguayo
AbstractThis paper examines the determinants of the non-performing loans ratio of Uruguayan banks and studies the existence of cointegration relationships between this ratio and a set of macroeconomic variables. Authors find evidence of the existence of a relationship between non-performing loans ratio, variation of wages measured in dollars and interest rates. The paper concludes that lower wages and higher rates lead to a higher default ratio in the long term. This conclusion emphasizes the importance of the exchange-rate risk over the credit risk in such economies with dollarized banking systems. The estimated model is then used to simulate the effects of several hypothetical stress scenarios on defaulted loans ratio. As a result of this exercise, the paper concludes that the Uruguayan banking system presents nowadays a more solid position than during the period before the 2002 crisis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Banco de Espa�a in its series Banco de Espa�a Working Papers with number 0722.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
morosidad; dolarización; cointegración; Uruguay;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-08-14 (Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-08-14 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marco Sorge, 2004. "Stress-testing financial systems: an overview of current methodologies," BIS Working Papers 165, Bank for International Settlements.
- Michael Manove & A. Jorge Padilla, 1999.
"Banking (Conservatively) with Optimists,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(2), pages 324-350, Summer.
- Sherril Shaffer, 1997.
"The winner's curse in banking,"
97-25, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Robert T. Clair, 1992. "Loan growth and loan quality: some preliminary evidence from Texas banks," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q III, pages 9-22.
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Patrick Honohan & Alain Ize, 2003.
"Dollarization of the Banking System: Good or Bad?,"
IMF Working Papers
03/146, International Monetary Fund.
- De Nicolo, Gianni & Honohan, Patrick & Ize, Alain, 2003. "Dollarization of the banking system : good or bad?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3116, The World Bank.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004.
"Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint,"
N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
- J. Kornai & E. Maskin & G. Roland., 2004. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 12.
- J�nos Kornai & Eric Maskin & G�rard Roland, 2003. "Understanding the Soft Budget Constraint," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1095-1136, December.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jesús Saurina, 2004. "Collateral, type of lender and relationship banking as determinants of credit risk," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0414, Banco de Espa�a.
- Solttila, Heikki & Vihriälä, Vesa, 1994. "Finnish Banks' Problem Assets: Result of Unfortunate Asset Structure or Too Rapid Growth?," Research Discussion Papers 23/1994, Bank of Finland.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Hendry, David F, 1992. "Testing Integration and Cointegration: An Overview," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 225-55, August.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 81-109, March.
- Brookes, Martin & Dicks, Mike & Pradhan, Mahmood, 1994. "An empirical model of mortgage arrears and repossessions," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 134-144, April.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. "Why Bank Credit Policies Fluctuate: A Theory and Some Evidence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 399-441, May.
- Brad Setser & Nouriel Roubini & Christian Keller & Mark Allen & Christoph B. Rosenberg, 2002. "A Balance Sheet Approach to Financial Crisis," IMF Working Papers 02/210, International Monetary Fund.
- Dell''Ariccia, Giovanni & Detragiache, Enrica & Rajan, Raghuram G, 2005.
"The Real Effect of Banking Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5088, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Simon Kwan & Robert Eisenbeis, 1997. "Bank Risk, Capitalization, and Operating Efficiency," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 117-131, October.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Ricardo Reis & Victoria Saporta, 2001.
"Costs of banking system instability: some empirical evidence,"
Bank of England working papers
144, Bank of England.
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Reis, Ricardo & Saporta, Victoria, 2002. "Costs of banking system instability: Some empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-855, May.
- Daniel C. Hardy & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1999. "Determinants and Leading Indicators of Banking Crises: Further Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 1.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Luis Fernando Escobar Patiño, 2003. "Efectos de las variaciones del tipo de cambio sobre las actividades de intermediación financiera de Bolivia 1990-2003," Revista de Análisis del BCB, Banco Central de Bolivia, vol. 6(1), pages 73-121, June.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Jimenez, Gabriel & Saurina, Jesus, 2004. "Collateral, type of lender and relationship banking as determinants of credit risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 2191-2212, September.
- Luis Felipe Céspedes & Roberto Chang & Andrés Velasco, 2004.
"Balance Sheets and Exchange Rate Policy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 1183-1193, September.
- Wadhwani, Sushil B, 1986. "Inflation, Bankruptcy, Default Premia and the Stock Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(381), pages 120-38, March.
- Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo & Ceyla PazarbaÅŸioÄŸlu & Robert Billings, 1997. "Determinants of Banking System Fragility: A Case Study of Mexico," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(3), pages 295-314, September.
- Catarina Figueira & John Glen & Joseph Nellis, 2005. "A Dynamic Analysis of Mortgage Arrears in the UK Housing Market," Urban/Regional 0509006, EconWPA.
- Vicente Salas & Jesús Saurina, 2002. "Credit Risk in Two Institutional Regimes: Spanish Commercial and Savings Banks," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 203-224, December.
- O. Emre Ergungor & James B. Thomson, 2005. "Systemic banking crises," Policy Discussion Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Feb.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.