Estimating A Profit Function In The Presence Of Inefficiency: An Application To Russian Agriculture
AbstractThe relationship among cost functions, distance functions, and technical inefficiency are utilized to show how technical inefficiency scores can be incorporated into the specification of a profit function and a related system of output supply and input demands. A method also is introduced for incorporating allocative efficiency scores into the same system. The theoretical and empirical approach requires fewer assumptions than those made in many studies. An illustrative example is provided for Russian agriculture for 1194-95, a period when significant technical and allocative inefficiency was known to exist. The results demonstrate inefficiency limits the supply response to prices, thus leading to lower estimates of output response compare to a traditional supply model in which efficiency is assumed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1983. "Testing the specification of multivariate models in the presence of alternative hypotheses," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 301-313, December.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Sotnikov, Sergey, 1998. "Evaluating the Effects of Price and Trade Liberalisation on the Technical Efficiency of Agricultural Production in a Transition Economy: The Case of Russia," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(3), pages 412-31.
- Carlos Arnade & Munisamy Gopinath, 2000. "Financial constraints and output targets in Russian agricultural production," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 71-84.
- Subal C. Kumbhakar, 2001. "Estimation of Profit Functions When Profit Is Not Maximum," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(1), pages 1-19.
- Battese, George E., 1992. "Frontier production functions and technical efficiency: a survey of empirical applications in agricultural economics," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 7(3-4), pages 185-208, October.
- Jonasson, Lars & Apland, Jeffrey, 1997. "Frontier Technology and Inefficiencies in Programming Sector Models: An Application to Swedish Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 109-31.
- Sedik, David & Trueblood, Michael & Arnade, Carlos, 1999. "Corporate Farm Performance in Russia, 1991-1995: An Efficiency Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 514-533, September.
- Mukherjee, Vivekananda & Das, Abhishek & Akhand, Anirban & Gupta, Gautam, 2013.
"Toxicity and profitability of rice cultivation under wastewater irrigation: the case of the East Calcutta Wetlands,"
Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 292-300.
- Vivekananda Mukherjee & Gautam Gupta, 2011. "Toxicity and Profitability of Rice Cultivation under Waste- Water Irrigation: The Case of the East Calcutta Wetlands," Working Papers id:4634, eSocialSciences.
- Speelman, Stijn & Buysse, Jeroen & Farolfi, Stefano & Frija, Aymen & D'Haese, Marijke & D'Haese, Luc, 2009. "Estimating the impacts of water pricing on smallholder irrigators in North West Province, South Africa," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 1560-1566, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.