Financial constraints and output targets in Russian agricultural production
AbstractSince the breakup of the Soviet Union, Russian agricultural production has experienced a significant decline. The rise in input prices relative to output prices and the lack of legal mechanisms to provide land as a collateral for loans suggest the existence of expenditure constraints. We test for expenditure constraints and prevalence of output-targeting as sources of inefficiency in addition to actual inefficiencies in 73 Russian farm regions (oblasts). Only six oblasts are overall efficient and the rest experienced profit losses from all three sources of inefficiency of up to 35.8 per cent. We find that 54 oblasts are subject to expenditure constraints, while output-targeting is still practised by 14 oblasts. Our results suggest that one-seventh of the overall inefficiency, and thus profit losses, is due to both financial constraints and output-targeting. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mehdian, Seyed & Herr, William McDaniel & Eberle, Phillip R. & Grabowski, Richard, 1988. "Toward An Appraisal Of The Fmha Farm Credit Program: A Case Study Of The Efficiency Of Borrowers In Southern Illinois," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(02), December.
- Arnade, Carlos A. & Trueblood, Michael A., 2002. "Estimating A Profit Function In The Presence Of Inefficiency: An Application To Russian Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Bezlepkina, Irina V., 2002. "What is Behind the Fall in Russian Agricultural Production?," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24785, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Arnade, Carlos A. & Osborne, Stefan, 2001. "Measurement And Testing For Neutrality Of Foreign Price And Cpi Transmission In Russia," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20625, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Blancard, Stephane & Boussemart, Jean-Philippe & Briec, W. & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2008.
"Technology Adoption in French Agriculture and the Role of Financial Constraints,"
2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium
44160, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2007. "Technology Adoption in French Agriculture and the Role of Financial Constraints," INRA UMR CESAER Working Papers 2007/1, INRA UMR CESAER, Centre d’Economie et Sociologie appliquées à l’Agriculture et aux Espaces Ruraux.
- Fang, Xiangming & Smith, Rodney B.W., 2002. "Barriers To Efficiency And The Privatization Of Township-Village Enterprises," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19744, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bezlepkina, Irina V. & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2003. "Liquidity And Productivity In Russian Agriculture: Farm-Data Evidence," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25824, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bezlepkina Irina, 2003. "Production Performance in Russian Regions: Farm Level Analysis," EERC Working Paper Series 01-034e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Margarita Grazhdaninova & Gregory Brock, 2004. "Grain and sunflower on Russian farms in 2001: how efficient is crop production?," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 297-305.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.