Frontier Technology and Inefficiencies in Programming Sector Models: An Application to Swedish Agriculture
AbstractA new approach to sector modelling with mathematical programming is proposed. The approach is based on information received from nonparametric efficiency analysis of farm data. Efficient farms are used to construct a set of empirically based, multi-input, multi-output technologies in the sector model. To further improve the depiction of production in the model, observed inefficiencies are also incorporated. An application of the technique replicates base-year observations better than a traditional model. Further, the new model has less tendency towards over-specialisation and unrealistic jumps in the price response. By explicitly taking existing structural inefficiencies into account, the model provides indications of the direction and strength of incentives for structural change. Copyright 1997 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 24 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Asmild, Mette & Wiborg, Torben, 1999. "A Relatively Easy-Access Description of the Logistics, Purposes and Function of the Sector Model KRAM," Unit of Economics Working papers, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute 24197, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Balogh, Peter & Ertsey, Imre & Fenyves, Veronika & Nagy, Lajos, 2009. "Analysis and optimization regarding the activity of a Hungarian Pig Sales and Purchase Cooperation," Studies in Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, Research Institute for Agricultural Economics, issue 109, April.
- Wiborg, Torben, 2000. "A Comparison of Agricultural Sector Models: CRAM, DRAM, SASM and the KVL Model," Unit of Economics Working papers, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute 24211, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Arifullah, Shahnaz A. & Ãƒâ€“nal, Hayri & Chishti, Anwar F., 0. "Effects of technological progress on consumersÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ and producersÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ welfare: a case study for Pakistan Punjab," Quarterly Journal of International Agriculture, Humboldt-UniversitÃ¤t zu Berlin, Humboldt-UniversitÃ¤t zu Berlin, vol. 49.
- Prakashan Veettil & Stijn Speelman & Guido Huylenbroeck, 2013. "Estimating the Impact of Water Pricing on Water Use Efficiency in Semi-arid Cropping System: An Application of Probabilistically Constrained Nonparametric Efficiency Analysis," Water Resources Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 55-73, January.
- Speelman, Stijn & Buysse, Jeroen & Farolfi, Stefano & Frija, Aymen & D'Haese, Marijke & D'Haese, Luc, 2009. "Estimating the impacts of water pricing on smallholder irrigators in North West Province, South Africa," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 96(11), pages 1560-1566, November.
- Arnade, Carlos A. & Trueblood, Michael A., 2002. "Estimating A Profit Function In The Presence Of Inefficiency: An Application To Russian Agriculture," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Balogh, Peter & Ertsey, Imre & Szucs, Istvan, 2009. "Answer to the challenges of the 21st century in the Hungarian pig sector," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China, International Association of Agricultural Economists 51027, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Speelman, Stijn & Frija, Aymen & Farolfi, Stefano & Buysse, Jeroen & D'Haese, Marijke F.C. & D'Haese, Luc, 2008. "A new methodology for assessing the impact of water-pricing scenarios: case study of small-scale irrigation schemes in South Africa," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium, European Association of Agricultural Economists 43836, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.