Alternative Measures Of Risk In Commodity Supply Models: An Analysis Of Sow Farrowing Decisions In The United States
AbstractThe role of price risk in sow farrowings is investigated by using bivariate ARCH-M and GARCH-M models and a nonparametric kernel estimator. To account for the relevant time horizon of irreversible supply decisions, predictions for mean price and conditional price variance are iterated forward. The empirical results vary markedly in terms of their implications for risk response in hog supply decisions, with the ARCH-M and GARCH-M models suggesting a small and negative risk effect. Estimates of the marginal risk premium also indicate moderate and variable departures from marginal cost pricing in sow farrowing supply decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 17 (1992)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Demand and Price Analysis; Production Economics; Risk and Uncertainty;
Other versions of this item:
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Holt, Matthew, 1992. "Alternative Measures of Risk in Commodity Supply Models: An Analysis of Sow Farrowing Decisions in the United States," Staff General Research Papers 11252, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holt, Matthew & Aradhyula, Satheesh V., 1990. "Price Risk in Supply Equations: An Application of Garch Time-Series Models to the U.S. Broiler Market," Staff General Research Papers 276, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Pagan, A.R. & Schwert, G.W., 1989.
"Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility,"
89-02, Rochester, Business - General.
- Pagan, Adrian R. & Schwert, G. William, 1990. "Alternative models for conditional stock volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 267-290.
- Adrian R. Pagan & G. William Schwert, 1990. "Alternative Models For Conditional Stock Volatility," NBER Working Papers 2955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988.
"Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990. "Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Aman Ullah, 1988. "Non-parametric Estimation of Econometric Functionals," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 21(3), pages 625-58, August.
- Pope, Rulon D. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T & Just, Richard E., 2007.
"Agricultural Arbitrage and Risk Preferences,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt3tw1m1p0, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Pope, Rulon D. & LaFrance, Jeffrey T. & Just, Richard E, 2007. "Agricultural arbitrage and risk preferences," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1041, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Jeffrey LaFrance & Rulon Pope & Richard Just, 2008. "Agricultural Arbitrage and Risk Preferences," Working Papers 2009-01, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Bard, Sharon K. & Barry, Peter J., 2001. "Assessing Farmers' Attitudes Toward Risk Using The "Closing-In" Method," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Ward, Patrick S. & Singh, Vartika, 2013. "Risk and Ambiguity Preferences and the Adoption of New Agricultural Technologies: Evidence from Field Experiments in Rural India," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150794, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Bryant, Henry L., 2000. "Price And Price Risk Dynamics In Barge And Ocean Freight Markets And The Effects On Commodity Trading," 2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois 18934, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Mathews, Kenneth H., Jr. & Short, Sara D., 2001. "The Beef Cow Replacement Decision," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 19(2).
- Bullock, David S. & Garcia, Philip & Shin, Kie-Yup, 2005. "Measuring producer welfare under output price uncertainty and risk non-neutrality," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(1), March.
- Haigh, Michael S. & Bryant, Henry L., 2001. "The effect of barge and ocean freight price volatility in international grain markets," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 25(1), pages 41-58, June.
- Holt, Matthew T., 1994. "Price-Band Stabilization Programs And Risk: An Application To The U.S. Corn Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Arnade, Carlos A. & Cooper, Joseph C., 2012. "Acreage Response under Varying Risk Preferences," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(3), December.
- Anthony N. Rezitis & Konstantinos S. Stavropoulos, 2010. "Supply response and price volatility in the Greek broiler market," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(1), pages 25-48.
- Holt, Matthew T. & Aradhyula, Satheesh V., 1998. "Endogenous risk in rational-expectations commodity models: A multivariate generalized ARCH-M approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 99-129, June.
- Ward, Patrick S. & Singh, Vartika, 2014. "Risk and ambiguity preferences and the adoption of new agricultural technologies: Evidence from field experiments in rural India:," IFPRI discussion papers 1324, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mbaga, Msafiri Daudi & Coyle, Barry T., 2003. "Beef Supply Response Under Uncertainty: An Autoregressive Distributed Lag Model," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(03), December.
- Rezitis, Anthony N. & Stavropoulos, Konstantinos S., 2010. "Modeling beef supply response and price volatility under CAP reforms: The case of Greece," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 163-174, April.
- Rude, James & Surry, Yves, 2013. "Canadian Hog Supply Respose: A Provincial Level Analysis," Working Papers 148590, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.