Subsidy Incidence and Inertia in Farmland Rental Markets: Estimates from a Dynamic Panel
AbstractRecent econometric studies indicate that the effect of government farm subsidies on farmland rental rates may be smaller than once thought. This literature has corrected for bias due to expectation error in measured subsidy payments. We suggest two additional sources of biasâ€”inertia and tenancy arrangementsâ€”that may explain the discrepancy between theoretical predictions and empirical estimates of subsidy incidence. We identify a model that accounts for these issues, employ panel data from Kansas to estimate it, and find that an additional dollar per acre of government subsidy increases rental rates by $0.12 per acre in the short run and $0.37 per acre in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
cash rent; farm subsidies; incidence; Farm Management; Financial Economics; Land Economics/Use;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miranowski, John, 1993. "Understanding Farmland Price Changes," Staff General Research Papers 10696, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David Roodman, 2006.
"How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata,"
103, Center for Global Development.
- David Roodman, 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Robert G. King & Julia K. Thomas, 2004.
"Partial adjustment without apology,"
327, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Robert G. King & Julia K. Thomas, 2004. "Partial Adjustment Without Apology," Working Papers 2004/15, Turkish Economic Association.
- Robert G. King & Julia K. Thomas, 2005. "Partial Adjustment without Apology," Boston University - Department of Economics - Macroeconomics Working Papers Series WP2005-001, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Robert G. King & Julia K. Thomas, 2003. "Partial Adjustment without Apology," NBER Working Papers 9946, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert G. King & Julia K. Thomas, . "Partial Adjustment without Apology," GSIA Working Papers 1999-E12, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- John E. Floyd, 1965. "The Effects of Farm Price Supports on the Returns to Land and Labor in Agriculture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 148.
- Barry K. Goodwin & François Ortalo-Magné, 1992. "The Capitalization of Wheat Subsidies into Agricultural Land Values," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 40(1), pages 37-54, 03.
- Anderson, T. W. & Hsiao, Cheng, 1982. "Formulation and estimation of dynamic models using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 47-82, January.
- Alfons Weersink & Steve Clark & Calum G. Turvey & Rakhal Sarker, 1999. "The Effect of Agricultural Policy on Farmland Values," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 75(3), pages 425-439.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Hennessy, David A., 1998.
"The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies Under Uncertainty,"
Staff General Research Papers
1207, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Hennessy, 1998. "The Production Effects of Agricultural Income Support Policies under Uncertainty," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 46-57.
- Lence, Sergio H. & Mishra, Ashok K., 2003.
"The Impacts of Different Farm Programs on Cash Rents,"
Staff General Research Papers
11470, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sergio H. Lence & Ashok K. Mishra, 2003. "The Impacts of Different Farm Programs on Cash Rents," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 753-761.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra & François Ortalo-Magné, 2011.
"The Buck Stops Where? The Distribution of Agricultural Subsidies,"
NBER Working Papers
16693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra & François Ortalo-Magné, 2011. "The Buck Stops Where? The Distribution of Agricultural Subsidies," NBER Chapters, in: The Intended and Unintended Effects of U.S. Agricultural and Biotechnology Policies, pages 15-50 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-26, November.
- Patton, Myles & Kostov, Philip & McErlean, Seamus & Moss, Joan, 2008. "Assessing the influence of direct payments on the rental value of agricultural land," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 397-405, October.
- Judson, Ruth A. & Owen, Ann L., 1999. "Estimating dynamic panel data models: a guide for macroeconomists," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 9-15, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.