Spatial Market Integration: Definition, Theory, And Evidence
AbstractA point-space model of interregional trade is used to define market integration and to explore its implications for modeling spatial price relationships. This analysis indicates that spatial prices are related nonlinearly, contrary to much of the work on spatial price analysis which uses linear models. As an empirical example, corn market integration along the Mississippi River is examined during the Midwest flood of 1993. Higher transport costs during this period significantly reduced the extent of integration and thereby decreased excess demand shock transference across regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Agricultural and Resource Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 25 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1993.
"Unit roots in macroeconomic time series: some critical issues,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Spr, pages 13-44.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1993. "Unit Roots in Macroeconomic Time Series: Some Critical Issues," NBER Working Papers 4368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F, 1992. "On the Transmission of World Agricultural Prices," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 399-422, September.
- Protopapadakis, Aris & Stoll, Hans R, 1983.
" Spot and Futures Prices and the Law of One Price,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1431-55, December.
- Aris Protopapadakis & Hans R. Stoll, . "Spot and Futures Prices and the Law of One Price," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 17-82, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Sakong, Yong & Hayes, Dermot J. & Hallam, Arne, 1993. "Hedging Production Risk with Options," Staff General Research Papers 559, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tomek, William G., 2000. "Commodity Prices Revisited," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 29(2), October.
- Shrestha, Sundar S. & Frechette, Darren L., 2003. "Transfer Costs And Spatial Price Efficiency In The Nepalese Tomato Markets," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 22076, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fausti, Scott W. & Diersen, Matthew A. & Qasmi, Bashir A., 2007. "Public Price Reporting in the Cash Market for Live Cattle: A Spatial Market Approach," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 36(2), October.
- Sushil Mohan & Bill Russell, 2008. "Modelling Thirty Five Years Of Coffee Prices In Brazil, Guatemala And India," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 221, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Fausti, Scott & Diersen, Matthew, 2005. "Price Transparency in the Voluntary Price Reporting System for Live Cattle: Theory and Empirical Evidence from South Dakota," Staff Papers 050001, South Dakota State University, Department of Economics.
- Acosta, Alejandro, 2012. "Measuring spatial transmission of white maize prices between South Africa and Mozambique: An asymmetric error correction model approach," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 7(1), October.
- Negassa, Asfaw & Myers, Robert & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z., 2004. "Grain marketing policy changes and spatial efficiency of maize and wheat markets in Ethiopia," MTID discussion papers 66, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jolejole-Foreman, Maria Christina & Mallory, Mindy L. & Baylis, Katherine R., 2013. "Impact of Wheat and Rice Export Ban on Indian Market Integration," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150595, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.