Testing for Market Integration and the Law of One Price in World Shrimp Markets
AbstractUsing import price data from Japan, United States, and the European Union, we test if shrimp price movements in these markets indicate an integrated world market for shrimp. We utilize cointegration techniques to investigate if prices in these markets share a common stochastic trend and if the law of one price holds. Results point to strong linkage among Japanese, American, and European markets. The results on the aggregated shrimp markets are checked against the results at a more disaggregated level. Data from wholesale markets in Tokyo, New York, and Europe for specific shrimp products confirm the integrated nature of shrimp markets. Evidence also exists in support of the law of one price in shrimp markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2006 Annual Meeting, February 5-8, 2006, Orlando, Florida with number 35351.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McNew, Kevin & Fackler, Paul L., 1997. "Testing Market Equilibrium: Is Cointegration Informative?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Max Nielsen & Jos Smit & Jordi Guillen, 2009. "Market Integration of Fish in Europe," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 367-385.
- Dragan Miljkovic & Rodney J. Paul, 2001. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets: Comment," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 1087-1089.
- Frank Asche & Helge Bremnes & Cathy R. Wessells, 1999.
"Product Aggregation, Market Integration, and Relationships between Prices: An Application to World Salmon Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 568-581.
- Asche, F. & Bremnes, H. & Wessells, C.R., 1998. "Product Aggregation, Market Integration and Relationships Between Prices: an Application to World Salmon Markets," Papers 27/98, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Christopher B. Barrett, 1996. "Market Analysis Methods: Are Our Enriched Toolkits Well Suited to Enlivened Markets?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 825-829.
- Kjell G. Salvanes, 1997. "Market Delineation and Demand Structure," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 139-150.
- Bene, Christophe & Cadren, Muriel & Lantz, Frederic, 2000. "Impact of cultured shrimp industry on wild shrimp fisheries: analysis of price determination mechanisms and market dynamics," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 55-68, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.