The transmission of world commodity prices to domestic markets under policy reforms in developing countries
AbstractThis paper examines the degree to which world price signals have been transmitted into domestic prices for eight countries and ten commodities, a total of 31 country/commodity pairs. The main characteristic of these countries was that they all undertook substantial policy reforms during the mid-1980s to early 1990s. The paper investigates the effect of reforms on the speed at which signals were transmitted to domestic markets and on the extent of price transmission. We find that Chile, Mexico, and Argentina are the only countries whose domestic commodity markets were integrated with world markets. For the remaining cases (Ghana, Madagascar, Indonesia, Egypt, and Colombia) in only a few country/commodity pairs is there some passthrough of world price changes. In terms of the effects of policy reforms, in the majority of the cases the hypothesis of a structural break following the reform year is rejected.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Economic Policy Reform.
Volume (Year): 6 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GPRE19
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Phillips, Peter C B & Loretan, Mico, 1991.
"Estimating Long-run Economic Equilibria,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(3), pages 407-36, May.
- Stigler, George J & Sherwin, Robert A, 1985.
"The Extent of the Market,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 555-85, October.
- George J. Stigler & Robert A. Sherwin, 1983. "The Extent of the Market," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 31, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Morisset, Jacques, 1998. "Unfair Trade? The Increasing Gap between World and Domestic Prices in Commodity Markets during the Past 25 Years," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 503-26, September.
- John Baffes, 1998. "Structural reforms and price liberalization in Mexican agriculture," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 575-587.
- Hendry, David F. & Pagan, Adrian R. & Sargan, J.Denis, 1984. "Dynamic specification," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1023-1100 Elsevier.
- Richardson, J. David, 1978. "Some empirical evidence on commodity arbitrage and the law of one price," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 341-351, May.
- McNew, Kevin & Fackler, Paul L., 1997. "Testing Market Equilibrium: Is Cointegration Informative?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(02), December.
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May.
- Baffes, John & Meerman, Jacob, 1998.
"From Prices to Incomes: Agricultural Subsidization without Protection?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 191-211, August.
- Baffes, John & Meerman, Jacob, 1997. "From prices to incomes: agricultural subsidization without protection?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1776, The World Bank.
- Jaramillo, Carlos Felipe & Nupia, Oskar Andres, 1998. "The Link Between Farmgate And World Prices In The Wake Of Trade Liberalization: The Case Of Colombia," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20819, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jorge Quiróz & Raimundo Soto, . "International Price Signals in Agricultural Markets: DoGovernments Care?," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv088, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Mundlak, Yair & Larson, Donald F, 1992. "On the Transmission of World Agricultural Prices," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 399-422, September.
- Christopher B. Barrett, 1996. "Market Analysis Methods: Are Our Enriched Toolkits Well Suited to Enlivened Markets?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 825-829.
- Jayne, T. S. & Jones, Stephen, 1997. "Food marketing and pricing policy in Eastern and Southern Africa: A survey," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1505-1527, September.
- Isard, Peter, 1977. "How Far Can We Push the "Law of One Price"?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 942-48, December.
- Baffes, John & Gautam, Madhur, 1996. "Price Responsiveness, Efficiency, and the Impact of Structural Adjustment on Egyptian Crop Producers," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 765-771, April.
- P. B. R. Hazell & M. Jaramillo & A. Williamson, 1990. "The Relationship Between World Price Instability And The Prices Farmers Receive In Developing Countries," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(2), pages 227-241.
- Bob Baulch, 1997. "Transfer Costs, Spatial Arbitrage, and Testing for Food Market Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 477-487.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.