Pay as you go: a new proposal for museum pricing
Museums have many different goals beyond efficiency such as social equity, financial revenue, attracting donors and gaining international, regional or local prestige. Various pricing schemes are being discussed with the aim of reaching these goals. The classical ones are entry prices and free entry. The museum club solution or exit donations allow for various additional goals. Each scheme has clear advantages and disadvantages. We propose an innovative pricing instrument: Exit prices, which are charged according to the time spent in a museum. This scheme has a number of notable advantages, in particular the better choice available to the visitors, which increases their satisfaction.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonita Kolb, 1997. "Pricing as the Key to Attracting Students to the Performing Arts," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 139-146, June.
- Bruno S. Frey & Stephan Meier, .
"The Economics of Museums,"
IEW - Working Papers
149, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- David Maddison, 2004. "Causality and Museum Subsidies," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 89-108, May.
- Juan Prieto-Rodriguez & Victor Fernandez-Blanco, 2003.
"Optimal Pricing And Grant Policies For Museums,"
- Bruno S. Frey & Stephan Meier, 2004. "Social Comparisons and Pro-social Behavior: Testing "Conditional Cooperation" in a Field Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1717-1722, December.
- Stephan Meier & Alois Stutzer, .
"Is Volunteering Rewarding in Itself?,"
IEW - Working Papers
180, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Elina Lampi & Matilda Orth, 2009.
"Who Visits the Museums? A Comparison between Stated Preferences and Observed Effects of Entrance Fees,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 85-102, 02.
- Lampi, Elina & Orth, Matilda, 2008. "Who visits the museums? A comparison between stated preferences and observed effects of entrance fees," Working Papers in Economics 298, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Volker Kirchberg, 1998. "Entrance Fees as a Subjective Barrier to Visiting Museums," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Victor Ginsburgh & David Throsby, 2006.
"Handbook of the economics of art and culture,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/1673, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Bruno S. Frey & Paolo Pamini, 2009.
"Making World Heritage Truly Global: The Culture Certificate Scheme,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2009-13, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Bruno S. Frey & Paolo Pamini, 2009. "Making World Heritage Truly Global: The Culture Certificate Scheme," CESifo Working Paper Series 2745, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Paolo Pamini, 2009. "Making world heritage truly global: the culture certificate scheme," IEW - Working Papers 419, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Faye Steiner, 1997. "Optimal Pricing of Museum Admission," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 307-333, December.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- John O'hagan, 1998. "Art Museums: Collections, Deaccessioning and Donations," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 197-207, June.
- Bruno S. Frey, 2001. "Inspiring Economics," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 1895, April.
- William Luksetich & Mark Partridge, 1997. "Demand functions for museum services," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(12), pages 1553-1559.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Knetsch, Jack L & Thaler, Richard, 1986. "Fairness as a Constraint on Profit Seeking: Entitlements in the Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 728-41, September.
- Frey, Bruno S. & Pommerehne, Werner W., 1993. "On the fairness of pricing -- An empirical survey among the general population," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 295-307, April.
- David Maddison & Terry Foster, 2003. "Valuing congestion costs in the British Museum," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(1), pages 173-190, January.
- Stephen Bailey & Peter Falconer, 1998. "Charging for Admission to Museums and Galleries: A Framework for Analysing the Impact on Access," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 167-177, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:iewwpx:485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.