Is Financial Fair Play really justified? An economic and legal assessment of UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules
There is an ongoing debate on how Financial Fair Play (FFP) will affect European club football and whether it is really fair. So far regulations have been very different among national leagues. Therefore, FFP is expected to trigger some asymmetric adjustments among clubs and leagues thereby leading to some changes in the competitive balance and probably to a new competitive equilibrium in European club football in an inter- as well as in an intra-league comparison. The Paper discusses to what regard and to what extent FFP rules are really needed to remedy market failure and whether these rules are legitimate or justifiable with respect to their objectives and potential conflicts with EU competition law.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 0
Fax: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 776
Web page: http://www.hwwi.org/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Szymanski, Stefan, 2001. "Income Inequality, Competitive Balance and the Attractiveness of Team Sports: Some Evidence and a Natural Experiment from English Soccer," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(469), pages F69-84, February.
- Vrooman, John, 2000. "The Economics of American Sports Leagues," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 47(4), pages 364-98, September.
- Philippe Robert-Demontrond & R. Ringoot, 2004. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00081823, HAL.
- Egon Franck, .
"Private Firm, Public Corporation or Member`s Association – Governance Structures in European Football,"
0106, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Egon Franck, 2010. "Private Firm, Public Corporation or Member’s Association Governance Structures in European Football," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 5(2), pages 108-127, May.
- PEETERS, Thomas & SZYMANSKI, Stefan, 2012. "Vertical restraints in soccer: Financial fair play and the English Premier League," Working Papers 2012028, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Stefan Szymanski, 2003. "The Economic Design of Sporting Contests," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1137-1187, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hwwipp:79. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.