Austrian Economics, Evolutionary Psychology and Methodological Dualism: Subjectivism Reconsidered
The methodological individualism and subjectivism of the Austrian tradition in economics is often associated with a methodological dualism, i.e. the claim that the nature of its subject matter, namely purposeful and intentional human action, requires economics to adopt a methodology that is fundamentally different from the causal explanatory approach of the natural sciences. This paper critically examines this claim and advocates an alternative, explicitly naturalistic and empiricist outlook at human action, exemplified, in particular, by the research program of evolutionary psychology. It is argued that, within the Austrian tradition, a decidedly naturalistic approach to subjectivism can be found in F.A. Hayek's work.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Goethestrasse 10, D-79100 Freiburg im Breisgau|
Web page: http://www.walter-eucken-institut.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Erich Streissler, 1972. "To What Extent Was the Austrian School Marginalist?," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 426-441, Fall.
- Pierre Garrouste, 1993. "Criteria of scientificity and methodology of the social sciences : Menger, Mises and Hayek," Post-Print halshs-00274537, HAL.
- Hayek, F. A., 2012. "New Studies in Philosophy, Politics, Economics, and the History of Ideas," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, number 9780226321288, December.
- Ulrich Witt, 2006. "Evolutionary Economics," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2006-05, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Vaughn,Karen I., 1994. "Austrian Economics in America," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521445528, August.
- Hayek, F. A., 2017. "The Sensory Order and Other Writings on the Foundations of Theoretical Psychology," University of Chicago Press Economics Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226436425 edited by Vanberg, Viktor J., December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:aluord:043. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.