Human Intentionality and Design In Cultural Evolution
The purpose of this paper is to take a closer look at the relation between human intentionality and design on the one side and the "blind" forces of evolution on the other. Specifically, I discuss two issues that Ulrich Witt has raised in recent publications, namely, first, the issue of whether the role that human intelligence and intentionality play in man-made or cultural evolution requires us to adopt a non-Darwinian concept of evolution, and, second, the issue of what the fact that cultural evolution is man-made implies for our capacity to "control" the evolutionary process and for our "responsibility" with regard to its overall outcomes.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Deutschhausstrasse 10, 35032 Marburg|
Web page: http://www.uni-marburg.de/fb19/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Viktor Vanberg, 2004. "The rationality postulate in economics: its ambiguity, its deficiency and its evolutionary alternative," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 1-29.
- Ulrich Witt, 2006. "Evolutionary Economics," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2006-05, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Ulrich Witt, . "Social Cognitive Learning and Group Selection - A Hayekian Model of Societal Evolution," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2001-10, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Ulrich Witt, 2003. "Economic policy making in evolutionary perspective," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 77-94, 04.
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 2002. "Darwinism in economics: from analogy to ontology," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 259-281.
- Ulrich Witt, 2004. "On the proper interpretation of 'evolution' in economics and its implications for production theory," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 125-146.
- Viktor Vanberg, 1997. "Institutional Evolution through Purposeful Selection: The Constitutional Economics of John R. Commons," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 105-122, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esi:evopap:2004-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christoph Mengs)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Christoph Mengs to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.