Policy Decentralisation and Exchange Rate Management in Interdependent Economies
The demise of Bretton Woods and of the short-lived Smithsonian agreement has raised questions about exchange rate management by monetary authorities acting in isolation from one another. For instance, will individual monetary authorities have an incentive to stabilise the exchange rate? To what extent will monetary actions abroad disrupt domestic monetary policy? What are the gains from co-ordinating monetary policy? The problems that arise when different agents pursue independent policies in interdependent economies have been explored by a number of authors. Aoki (1976), Cooper (1969), Hamada (1976), Allen and Kenen (1980), McFadden (1967), Patrick (1973), Kydland (1976) and Pindyck (1976), among others, have made significant contributions. Different authors have focused on different aspects of decentralized policy formation. One purpose of this paper is to provide a general discussion of decentralization. A second purpose of this paper is to analyse the optimal design of monetary policy in interdependent economies
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1980|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CV4 7AL COVENTRY|
Phone: +44 (0) 2476 523202
Fax: +44 (0) 2476 523032
Web page: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Canzoneri, Matthew B., 1983.
"Rational destabilizing speculation and exchange intervention policy,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 75-90.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri, 1979. "Rational destabilizing speculation and exchange intervention policy," International Finance Discussion Papers 157, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- William Poole, 1970.
"Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model,"
57, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- William Poole, 1969. "Optimal choice of monetary policy instruments in a simple stochastic macro model," Special Studies Papers 2, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- McCallum, B. T. & Whitaker, J. K., 1979. "The effectiveness of fiscal feedback rules and automatic stabilizers under rational expectations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 171-186, April.
- Taylor, John B, 1977. "Conditions for Unique Solutions in Stochastic Macroeconomic Models with Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(6), pages 1377-85, September.
- Hamada, Koichi, 1976. "A Strategic Analysis of Monetary Interdependence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 677-700, August.
- Aoki, Masanao, 1976. "On decentralized stabilization policies and dynamic assignment problems," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 143-171, May.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Laurence Weiss, 1979. "Information Aggregation and Policy," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 528, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1975. ""Rational" Expectations, the Optimal Monetary Instrument, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 241-54, April.
- Robert J. Barro, 1978. "A Stochastic Equilibrium Model of an Open Economy Under Flexible Exchange Rates," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 92(1), pages 149-164.
- Richard N. Cooper, 1969. "Macroeconomic Policy Adjustment in Interdependent Economies," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 83(1), pages 1-24.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1980. "The Choice of Monetary Instrument under Alternative Forms of Price Expectations," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 48(1), pages 39-62, March.
- Harris, Richard G & Purvis, Douglas D, 1981.
"Diverse Information and Market Efficiency in a Monetary Model of the Exchange Rate,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(364), pages 829-47, December.
- Richard G. Harris & Douglas D. Purvis, 1978. "Diverse Information and Market Efficiency in a Monetary Model of the Exchange Rate," Working Papers 309, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Patrick, John D., 1973. "Establishing convergent decentralized policy assignment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 37-51, February.
- Don E. Roper & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1980. "Optimal Exchange Market Intervention in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(2), pages 296-309, May.
- repec:pal:imfstp:v:9:y:1962:i:1:p:70-79 is not listed on IDEAS
- William Poole, 1970. "Optimal Choice of Monetary Policy Instruments in a Simple Stochastic Macro Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(2), pages 197-216.
- Geoffrey Woglom, 1979. "Rational Expectations and Monetary Policy in a Simple Macroeconomic Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(1), pages 91-105.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1976. "The Cost of Conflicting Objectives in Policy Formulation," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 2, pages 239-248 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Boyer, Russell S, 1978. "Optimal Foreign Exchange Market Intervention," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 1045-55, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wrk:warwec:172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margaret Nash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.