How vague can one be? Rational preferences without completeness or transitivity
What can it mean for preferences to be rational when transitivity or completenss are not assumed? In this paper we provide a framework and a set of conditions to deal with this question. We provide representation results in terms of a pair of functions, a utility function and a vagueness function.
|Date of creation:||12 Dec 2003|
|Date of revision:||16 Jul 2004|
|Note:||Type of Document - ; prepared on WinNT; to print on laser;|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masatlioglu, Yusufcan & Ok, Efe A., 2005. "Rational choice with status quo bias," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 1-29, March.
- P. Mongin, 1998.
"Does optimization imply rationality ?,"
THEMA Working Papers
98-17, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Mandler, Michael, 2005. "Incomplete preferences and rational intransitivity of choice," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 255-277, February.
- Ok, Efe A., 2002. "Utility Representation of an Incomplete Preference Relation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 429-449, June.
- Bridges, Douglas S., 1983. "Numerical representation of intransitive preferences on a countable set," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 213-217, June.
- Juan Dubra & Fabio Maccheroni & Efe A. Ok, 2004. "Expected Utility Without the Completeness Axiom," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm404, Yale School of Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpga:0312006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.