Stationary Temporary Equilibrium in a General Model of Optimal Accumulation and Trade
This paper analyzes the movement of market-clearing prices in an intertemporal general equilibrium framework and, in particular, proves the existence of a stationary temporary equilibrium. A model of a competitive economy is developed which consists of several "small" countries engaged in consumption, production and trade. Following Hicks, one way to look at the evolution of an economic system is to view it as a succession of temporary competitive equilibria. The aspect of stationarity is interesting because if the sequence of temporary equilibria converges to a steady-state, it must converge to a stationary temporary equilibrium. A linear-logarithmic economy exhibits convergence.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Box 873806, Tempe, AZ 85287-3806|
Phone: (480) 965-5514
Fax: (480) 965-0748
Web page: http://www.cob.asu.edu/ecn/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manjira Datta, .
"Externalities and Price Dynamics,"
9710, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Dutta, Prajit K. & Mitra, Tapan, 1989. "Maximum theorems for convex structures with an application to the theory of optimal intertemporal allocation," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 77-86, February.
- Hildenbrand, W & Mertens, J F, 1972.
"Upper Hemi-Continuity of the Equilibrium-Set Correspondence for Pure Exchange Economies,"
Econometric Society, vol. 40(1), pages 99-108, January.
- HILDENBRAND, Werner & MERTENS, Jean-François, . "Upper hemi-continuity of the equilibrium set correspondence for pure exchange economies," CORE Discussion Papers RP 109, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gerard Debreu, 1956. "Market Equilibrium," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 10, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Yves Younes, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 355-372.
- Wan, Henry Jr. & Majumdar, Mukul, 1980. "Trade under temporary equilibrium: Evolution in a loglinear world," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-62, February.
- Datta, M., 1992. "A general Model of Trade and Optimal Accumulation in a Small Open Economy: The Case of Production Uncertainty," Papers 92-8, Saskatchewan - Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:astewp:9708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.