Income convergence among Brazilian states after the economic openness in the 1990s
This paper expands the analysis developed by Ellery Jr. (1994), who estimated the income convergence among Brazilian states from 1970 to 1990. The methodology is based on the convergence model proposed by Barro and Sala-i-Martin (1992) and is applied to test both the beta-convergence and the sigma-convergence. For the period after 1990, and sub-periods, the effects of educational level (used as a proxy for human capital), and international trade on the increase of income states were estimated. The preliminary results show that even after the economic openness in 1990s, the income convergence process has not changed compared to the first period previously analyzed (1970-1990) among the 27 Brazilian states and this process has been still ongoing (0.79% per year) to the recent years.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro Jucá Maciel & Joaquim Andrade & Vladimir Kuhl Teles, 2005. "Convergência Regional Revisitada: Uma Análise Em Equilíbrio Geral Para O Brasil," Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 127, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Dowrick, S., 1991.
"Technological Catch Up and Diverging Incomes: Patterns of Economic Growth 1960-88,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
259, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Dowrick, Steve, 1992. "Technological Catch Up and Diverging Incomes: Patterns of Economic Growth 1960-88," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(412), pages 600-610, May.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier X, 1996.
"The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 1019-36, July.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1995. "The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1254, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1995. "The classical approach to convergence analysis," Economics Working Papers 117, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Sala-i-martin, X., 1995. "The Classical Approach to Convergence Analysis," Papers 734, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Afonso Ferreira, 2000. "Convergence in Brazil: recent trends and long-run prospects," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(4), pages 479-489.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Nicolino Trompieri Neto & Ivan Castelar & Fabrício Cameiro Linhares, 2008. "Convergência de Renda dos Estados Brasileiros: Uma Abordagem de Painel Dinâmico com Efeito Threshold," Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 200807212130050, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Fernando Garcia & Jorge Oliveira Pires, 2004.
"Productivity of Nations: a stochastic frontier approach to TFP decomposition,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
292, Econometric Society.
- Pires, Jorge Oliveira & Garcia, Fernando, 2004. "Productivity of nations: a stochastic frontier approach to TFP decomposition," Textos para discussão 143, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Carlos R. Azzoni, 2001. "Economic growth and regional income inequality in Brazil," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 35(1), pages 133-152.
- S. Dobson & C. Ramlogan, 2002. "Economic Growth and Convergence in Latin America," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(6), pages 83-104.
- Afonso Henriques Borges Ferreira & Clélio Campolina Diniz, 1994. "Convergência entre as rendas per capita estaduais no Brasil," Textos para Discussão Cedeplar-UFMG 079, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa10p172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.