An efficient binomial approach to the pricing of options on stocks with cash dividends
In this contribution, we consider options written on stocks which pay cash dividends. Dividend payments have an effect on the value of options: high dividends imply lower call premia and higher put premia. While exact solutions to problems of evaluating both European and American call options and European put options are available in the literature, for American-style put options early exercise may be optimal at any time prior to expiration even in the absence of dividends. In this case numerical techniques, such as lattice approaches, are required. Discrete dividends produce a shift in the tree; as a result, the tree is no longer reconnecting beyond any dividend date. Methods based on non-recombining trees give consistent results, but they are computationally expensive. We analyze binomial algorithms and performed some empirical experiments.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dorsoduro, 3825/E, 30123 Venezia|
Phone: ++39 041 2346910-6911
Fax: ++ 39 041 5221756
Web page: http://www.dma.unive.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. H. Vellekoop & J. W. Nieuwenhuis, 2006. "Efficient Pricing of Derivatives on Assets with Discrete Dividends," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 265-284.
- Antonella Basso & Martina Nardon & Paolo Pianca, 2004. "A two-step simulation procedure to analyze the exercise features of American options," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer;Associazione per la Matematica, vol. 27(1), pages 35-56, 08.
- Geske, Robert, 1981. "Comments on Whaley's note," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 213-215, June.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Jo\~ao Amaro de Matos & Rui Dil\~ao & Bruno Ferreira, 2006.
"The Exact Value for European Options on a Stock Paying a Discrete Dividend,"
- Amaro de Matos, Joao & Dilao, Rui & Ferreira, Bruno, 2006. "The exact value for European options on a stock paying a discrete dividend," MPRA Paper 701, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vnm:wpaper:178. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marco LiCalzi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.