Testing for structural Change in Regression: An Empirical Likelihood Ratio Approach
In this paper we derive an empirical likelihood type Wald (ELW)test for the problem testing for structural change in a linear regression model when the variance of error term is not known to be equal across regimes. The sampling properties of the ELW test are analyzed using Monte Carlo simulation. Comparisons of these properties of the ELW test and of three other commonly used tests (Jayatissa, Weerahandi, and Wald) are conducted. The finding is that the ELW test has very good power properties.
|Date of creation:||06 Dec 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2|
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weerahandi, Samaradasa, 1987. "Testing Regression Equality with Unequal Variances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1211-15, September.
- Ohtani, Kazuhiro & Toyoda, Toshihisa, 1985. "Small Sample Properties of Tests of Equality between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regressions under Heteroscedasticity," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 26(1), pages 37-44, February.
- Watt, P A, 1979. "Tests of Equality between Sets of Coefficients in Two Linear Regressions When Disturbance Variances Are Unequal: Some Small Sample Properties," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 47(4), pages 391-96, December.
- Giles, Judith A & Giles, David E A, 1993. " Pre-test Estimation and Testing in Econometrics: Recent Developments," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 145-97, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicewp:0405. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Giles)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.