Measuring the Policymaker’s Credibility: The Bank of England in ‘nice’ and ‘not-so-nice’ times
In the course of the last year or so, the Bank of England has come under pressure to raise interest rates on the grounds that a ‘lax’ monetary policy in the face of persistent overshoots of the inflation target risks undermining the Bank’s hard-won credibility. Using the Bayesian as well as time-varying coefficient Kalman-Filter techniques, and four different measures of inflation expectations, this paper looks at the effect of recent events upon the Bank of England’s credibility. Briefly, we find that on most measures of inflation expectations the credibility built up during the relatively benign years from the adoption of an explicit inflation target in 1992 to the onset of the financial crisis in 2007 has deteriorated since. Although our investigation is focused in this paper on the Bank of England, it is easily transferred to the examination of other central banks and represents an advance on other measures of credibility widely used in the existing literature.
|Date of creation:||10 Jan 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0117 328 3610|
Phone: 0117 328 3610
Web page: http://www1.uwe.ac.uk/bl/research/bristoleconomics.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy Besley & Kevin Sheedy, 2010. "Monetary Policy Under Labour," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 212(1), pages 15-33, April.
- Demir, Banu & Yigit, Taner M., 2008.
"Announcements and credibility under inflation targeting,"
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 249-253, August.
- Taner Yigit & Banu Demir, 2007. "Announcements and Credibility under Inflation Targeting," Working Papers 0705, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Breedon, Francis & Hume, Michael, 2007. "Does the European Central Bank have a credibility problem?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 438-442, June.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Ilian Mihov, 1996.
"What Does the Bundesbank Target?,"
NBER Working Papers
5764, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwe:wpaper:20111110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Felix Ritchie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.