Mis-Specification in the Estimation of the Expected Rescaled Adjusted Range Statistic: The Case Versus Peters
Rescaled range analysis has in recent times gained in popularity as a means of identifying long memory effects in financial and economic time series data. Conclusions derived from the rescaled adjusted range statistic are conditional however upon the choice of an approptiate benchmark against which observed results can be compared. This paper provides an examination of various models of the expected value of the rescaled adjusted range statistic E(R*/sigma)_n. Two particular models will be cited, those of Anis and Lloyd (1976) and Peters (1994). As will be shown however, there exists significant inconsistencies in empirical results reported by Peters (1994), which when considered reveal Peters' specification of E(R*/sigma)_n should be rejected in favour of that derived by Anis and Lloyd.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as: Ellis, C., 2006, "The Mis-Specification of the Expected Rescaled Adjusted Range", Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 363(2), 469-476.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.uts.edu.au/about/uts-business-school/finance
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheung, Yin-Wong, 1993. "Long Memory in Foreign-Exchange Rates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(1), pages 93-101, January.
- Brent W. Ambrose & Esther Ancel & Mark D. Griffiths, 1992. "The Fractal Structure of Real Estate Investment Trust Returns: The Search for Evidence of Market Segmentation and Nonlinear Dependency," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-54.
- G. Wenchi Kao & Christopher K. Ma, 1992. "Memories, heteroscedasticity, and price limit in Currency futures markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 679-692, December.
- Graham Newell & Maurice Peat & Max Stevenson, 1996. "Testing for Evidence of Nonlinear Structure in Australian Real Estate Market Returns," Working Paper Series 61, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Batten, Jonathan & Ellis, Craig, 1996. "Fractal structures and naive trading systems: Evidence from the spot US dollar/Japanese yen," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 411-421, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:wpaper:69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.