Efficient Consumption Set Under Recursive Utility and Unknown Beliefs
In a context of complete financial markets where asset prices follow Ito's processes, we characterize the set of consumption processes which are optimal for a given stochastic differential utility (e.g. Duffie and Epstein (1992)) when beliefs are unknown. Necessary and sufficient conditions for the efficiency of a consumption process, consists of the existence of a solution to a quadratic backward stochastic differential equation and a martingale condition. We study the efficiency condition in the case of a class of homothetic stochastic differential utilities and derive some results for those particular cases. In a Markovian context, this efficiency condition becomes a partial differential equation.
|Date of creation:||01 Jun 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as: Lazrak, A. and Zapatero, F., 2004, "Efficient Consumption Set Under Recursive Utility and Unknown Beliefs", Journal of Mathematical Economics, 40(1-2), 207-226.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 123, Broadway, NSW 2007, Australia|
Phone: +61 2 9514 7777
Fax: +61 2 9514 7711
Web page: http://www.qfrc.uts.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bick, Avi, 1990. " On Viable Diffusion Price Processes of the Market Portfolio," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 673-89, June.
- Duffie, Darrell & Epstein, Larry G, 1992. "Stochastic Differential Utility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 353-94, March.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry G. Epstein, 2000.
"Ambiguity, risk and asset returns in continuous time,"
RCER Working Papers
474, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Zengjing Chen & Larry Epstein, 2002. "Ambiguity, Risk, and Asset Returns in Continuous Time," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1403-1443, July.
- Duffie, Darrell & Skiadas, Costis, 1994. "Continuous-time security pricing : A utility gradient approach," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 107-131, March.
- N. El Karoui & S. Peng & M. C. Quenez, 1997. "Backward Stochastic Differential Equations in Finance," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 1-71.
- Ali Lazrak & J. P. Décamps, 2000.
"A martingale characterization of equilibrium asset price processes,"
- A. Lazrak & J.P. DÊcamps, 2000. "A martingale characterization of equilibrium asset price processes," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 15(1), pages 207-213.
- Bick, Avi, 1987. "On the Consistency of the Black-Scholes Model with a General Equilibrium Framework," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(03), pages 259-275, September.
- Duffie, Darrel & Lions, Pierre-Louis, 1992. "PDE solutions of stochastic differential utility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 577-606.
- Duffie, Darrell & Epstein, Larry G, 1992. "Asset Pricing with Stochastic Differential Utility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 411-36.
- Chiappori, P. -A. & Ekeland, I. & Kubler, F. & Polemarchakis, H. M., 2004.
"Testable implications of general equilibrium theory: a differentiable approach,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 105-119, February.
- P.A. Chiappori & I. Ekeland & F. Kubler & H.M. Polemarchakis, 2002. "Testable Implications of General Equilibrium Theory: a differentiable approach," Working Papers 2002-10, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Cuoco, Domenico & Zapatero, Fernando, 2000. "On the Recoverability of Preferences and Beliefs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 417-31.
- Schroder, Mark & Skiadas, Costis, 1999. "Optimal Consumption and Portfolio Selection with Stochastic Differential Utility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 68-126, November.
- He, Hua & Leland, Hayne, 1993. "On Equilibrium Asset Price Processes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 593-617.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uts:rpaper:85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duncan Ford)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.