A Conceptual Framework for Commercial Property Price Indexes
The paper studies the problems associated with the construction of price indexes for commercial properties that could be used in the System of National Accounts. Property price indexes are required for the stocks of commercial properties in the Balance Sheets of the country and related price indexes for the land and structure components of a commercial property are required in the Income Accounts of the country if the Multifactor Productivity of the Commercial Property Industry is calculated as part of the System of National accounts. The paper suggests a variant of the capitalization of the Net Operating Income approach to the construction of property price indexes and uses the one hoss shay or light bulb model of depreciation as a model of depreciation for the structure component of a commercial property.
|Date of creation:||09 Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:||09 Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economics.ubc.ca/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diewert, W E, 1992. "The Measurement of Productivity," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 163-198, July.
- Fisher, Jeffrey D & Geltner, David M & Webb, R Brian, 1994. "Value Indices of Commercial Real Estate: A Comparison of Index Construction Methods," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 137-164, September.
- Neil Crosby & Steven Devaney & Vicki Law, 2012. "Rental depreciation and capital expenditure in the UK commercial real estate market, 1993--2009," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 227-246, March.
- Sheharyar Bokhari & David Geltner, 2012. "Estimating Real Estate Price Movements for High Frequency Tradable Indexes in a Scarce Data Environment," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 522-543, August.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Nakamura, Alice O. & Nakamura, Leonard I., 2009. "The housing bubble and a new approach to accounting for housing in a CPI," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 156-171, September.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2005. "Issues in the Measurement of Capital Services, Depreciation, Asset Price Changes, and Interest Rates," NBER Chapters, in: Measuring Capital in the New Economy, pages 479-556 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schreyer, Paul, 2009. "User costs and bubbles in land markets," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 267-272, September.
- Timothy J. Dixon & Neil Crosby & Victoria K. Law, 1999. "A critical review of methodologies for measuring rental depreciation applied to UK commercial real estate," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 153-180, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ubc:bricol:erwin_diewert-2013-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maureen Chin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.