European Integration, Innovations and Uneven Economic Growth: Challenges and Problems of EU 2005
At the end of 2005 the process of European integration seems to have reached a serious crisis. The aim of the paper is a preliminary exploration of factors that have lead to the situation. The main emphasis is given to the European Union’s Lisbon Strategy. Although the strategy represents a healthy theoretical shift towards a dual emphasis on innovations as the basic engine of economic growth and on social cohesion in order to mitigate the uneven economic growth that necessarily follows in a dynamically innovative society, the shift also carries several problems of theoretical, contextual and didactical nature. Therefore, the author is in the opinion that the present situation of Europe requires more than the Lisbon Strategy’s list of good intentions focusing around innovations – it needs to bring back economic thinking and economic tools that dominated the period after World War II.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ttu.ee/hum|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Fagerberg, 1999. "The Economic Challenge for Europe: Adapting to Innovation-Based Growth," Working Papers 2, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Erik S. Reinert, 1999. "The role of the state in economic growth," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(4/5), pages 268-326, September.
- Carlota Perez, 2004. "Technological Revolutions, Paradigm Shifts and Socio-institutional Change," Chapters, in: Globalization, Economic Development and Inequality, chapter 7 Edward Elgar.
- Erik S. Reinert, .
"Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500-year cross-national perspective,"
STEP Report series
199403, The STEP Group, Studies in technology, innovation and economic policy.
- Reinert, Erik S., 1995. "Competitiveness and its predecessors--a 500-year cross-national perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 23-42, March.
- Reinert, Erik S., 1994. "Competitiveness and its predecessors - a 500-year cross-national perspective," MPRA Paper 48155, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tth:wpaper:05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oliver Lillepruun)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.