International linkages, local externalities, innovation and productivity. A structural model of Italian manufacturing firms
Using a large sample of Italian manufacturing firms, in this paper we estimate a structural model of research, innovation, productivity and export performance augmented to take account for the role played by local externalities. This model, which is an "enlarged" version of Crepon, Duguet and Mairesse (1998) model, comprises four main equations. The first identifies the factors underlying the intensity of Research and Development (R&D) investments; the second links R&D capital to innovation output; the third focuses on Total Factor Productivity (TFP) as determined by innovation; the fourth relates export performance to TFP. Our estimates show the significant role played by local externalities in these processes. In particular, related variety and urbanization positively affect the creation of new ideas through R&D, while specialization impacts on TFP to complement innovation output. Finally, urbanization economies support TFP in driving firms' export performance.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.openloc.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuelle Chevassus-Lozza & Danielle Galliano, 2003. "Local Spillovers, Firm Organization and Export Behaviour: Evidence from the French Food Industry," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-158.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivity: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Lucio, Juan J. & Herce, Jose A. & Goicolea, Ana, 2002. "The effects of externalities on productivity growth in Spanish industry," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 241-258, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:trn:utwpol:0905. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Rentocchini)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Francesco Rentocchini to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.