The Determinants of Management Expenses
This paper develops a model which explains the determinants of the management expenses charged by U.S. equity funds. The study shows that for high quality managers, an increase in quality is associated with higher fees. In contrast, as the quality of the lower quality managers deteriorates, their fees increase. A non-linear negative relationship is found between the size of a fund and its management expenses. Economies of scope are also shown to exist between the number of funds within a mutual fund complex and the management expenses charged investors. Finally, while 12b-1 fees have been thought of as a substitute for load charges, this paper suggests that they are complements.
|Date of creation:||17 Jun 1997|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 150 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario|
Phone: (416) 978-5283
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Judith Chevalier & Glenn Ellison, 1999.
"Are Some Mutual Fund Managers Better Than Others? Cross-Sectional Patterns in Behavior and Performance,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 875-899, 06.
- Judith Chevalier & Glenn Ellison, 1996. "Are Some Mutual Funds Managers Better Than Others? Cross-Sectional Patterns in Behavior and Performance," NBER Working Papers 5852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- M. K. Berkowitz & Y. Kotowitz, 1993. "Incentives and Efficiency in the Market for Management Services: A Study of Canadian Mutual Funds," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(4), pages 850-66, November.
- Michael K. Berkowitz & Yehuda Kotowitz, 1997. "Management Compensation and the Performance of Mutual Funds," Working Papers berk-97-01, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Ferris, Stephen P & Chance, Don M, 1987. " The Effect of 12b-1 Plans on Mutual Fund Expense Ratios: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1077-82, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tor:tecipa:berk-97-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePEc Maintainer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.