Price Indexes for Elementary Aggregates Derived from Behavioral Assumptions
This paper discusses the properties of price- and Cost-of-Living indexes that follow from specific assumptions about the structure of consumer preferences. Of particular interest are indexes for elementary aggregates. In the first part of the paper we show how particular indexes for elementary aggregates emerge from a micro model with heterogeneous consumers and unobservable choice sets of product variants. Subsequently, we demonstrate that these indexes also follow from a particular preference structure of a representative consumer. Indexes that are currently used in many countries emerge as special cases of the ones proposed in this paper.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 8131 Dep, N-0033 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: (+47) 21 09 00 00
Fax: (+47) 21 09 49 73
Web page: http://www.ssb.no/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leif Brubakk & John K. Dagsvik, 1998. "Consumer Demand and Unobservable Product Attributes," Discussion Papers 223, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Reinsdorf, Marshall, 1994. "The Effect of Price Dispersion on Cost of Living Indexes," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(1), pages 137-49, February.
- Baye, Michael R, 1985. "Price Dispersion and Functional Price Indices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 213-23, January.
- Anderson, Ronald W, 1979. "Perfect Price Aggregation and Empirical Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1209-30, September.
- John K. Dagsvik & Yu Zhu & Rolf Aaberge, 1998. "A Framework for Empirical Modelling of Consumer Demand with Latent Quality Attributes," Discussion Papers 229, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Feenstra, Robert C, 1995.
"Exact Hedonic Price Indexes,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 77(4), pages 634-53, November.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 5061, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," Papers 95-11, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Feenstra, R.C., 1995. "Exact Hedonic Price Indexes," Department of Economics 95-11, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- John K. Dagsvik, 1996. "Consumer Demand with Unobservable Product Attributes - Part I: Theory," Discussion Papers 166, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ssb:dispap:234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J Bruusgaard)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.