Fiscal Empowerment of Panchayats in India: Real or Rhetoric?
The focus of this paper is to review the financial position of panchayats in India. The analysis is based on the secondary sources of information. It reveals that the panchayats have very little fiscal autonomy. The locally raised revenues are very negligible. The funds flow from higher level governments are very low and lack any devolution design or principles. The transfers are made at the convenience and mercy of such governments.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nagarabhavi, Bangalore - 560072|
Web page: http://www.isec.ac.in/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416-416.
- Roy Bahl & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2013.
"Sequencing Fiscal Decentralization,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(2), pages 641-687, November.
- Bahl, Roy & Martinez-Vazquez, Jorge, 2006. "Sequencing fiscal decentralization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3914, The World Bank.
- Bird, Richard M. & Smart, Michael, 2002. "Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers: International Lessons for Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 899-912, June.
- M Govinda Rao, 2001. "Fiscal Decentralization in Indian Federalism," Working Papers 98, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sch:wpaper:229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B B Chand)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.