Convergence of Standards of Living Across Indian States
Given the limitations using per capita income in evaluating social well being, this study measures standard of living by real per capita consumption and re-examines whether the standards of living across Indian States are converging or not. b -convergence is found for rural sectors of the states during the pre-liberalisation era. Similar result is obtained by combining the rural and urban areas of the states. In contrast, reform period shows opposite results. Furthermore, s -convergence shows that consumption inequality has increased over time.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nagarabhavi, Bangalore - 560072|
Web page: http://www.isec.ac.in/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angus Deaton & Jean Dreze, 2002.
"Poverty and Inequality in India: A Re-Examination,"
184, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Robert M. Solow, 1956. "A Contribution to the Theory of Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 70(1), pages 65-94.
- repec:pri:rpdevs:deaton_dreze_poverty_india is not listed on IDEAS
- Sen, Amartya, 1974. "Informational bases of alternative welfare approaches : Aggregation and income distribution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-403, November.
- T. W. Swan, 1956. "ECONOMIC GROWTH and CAPITAL ACCUMULATION," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 32(2), pages 334-361, November.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs & Nirupam Bajpai & Ananthi Ramiah, 2002. "Understanding Regional Economic Growth in India," Asian Economic Papers, MIT Press, vol. 1(3), pages 32-62.
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sch:wpaper:153. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (B B Chand)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.