Measuring the Impact of Regulationon Market Stability: Evidence from the US Markets
In this paper, we introduce a new methodology designed to test the effect of new regulatory disclosure requirements on the disclosure threshold as predicted by the extant literature (Verrecchia (1983), Dye (1985)). We apply our methodology to test the consistency between observed effects from major US regulation past and present (1933/1934 Securities Acts, Regulation Fair Disclosure 2000, and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act 2002) with regulatory objectives.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Alternative Investments 2005, 8:2, 48-61|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Benston, George J, 1973. "Required Disclosure and the Stock Market: An Evaluation of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(1), pages 132-55, March.
- Jarrell, Gregg A, 1981. "The Economic Effects of Federal Regulation of the Market for New Security Issues," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 613-75, December.
- Henry Allen Latane, 1959. "Criteria for Choice Among Risky Ventures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 144.
- Richard R. Simonds & Daniel W. Collins, 1978. "Line of Business Reporting and Security Prices: An Analysis of an SEC Disclosure Rule: Comment," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 646-658, Autumn.
- John J. Binder, 1985. "Measuring the Effects of Regulation with Stock Price Data," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(2), pages 167-183, Summer.
- Clarkson, Pete & Guedes, Jose & Thompson, Rex, 1996. "On the Diversification, Observability, and Measurement of Estimation Risk," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(01), pages 69-84, March.
- Bertrand Horwitz & Richard Kolodny, 1977. "Line of Business Reporting and Security Prices: An Analysis of an SEC Disclosure Rule," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 234-249, Spring.
- Victor Zarnowitz, 1999. "Theory and History behind Business Cycles: Are the 1990s the Onset of a Golden Age?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(2), pages 69-90, Spring.
- Dye, Ronald A, 1986. "Proprietary and Nonproprietary Disclosures," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 331-66, April.
- Victor Zarnowitz, 1999. "Theory and History Behind Business Cycles: Are the 1990s the Onset of a Golden Age?," NBER Working Papers 7010, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon, Carol J, 1989. "The Effect of the 1933 Securities Act on Investor Information and the Performance of New Issues," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(3), pages 295-318, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:icmadp:icma-dp2004-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Quick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.