Costs And Consequences Of The New Protectionism: The Case Of Canada’S Clothing Sector
This paper analyzes the impact of the present tariff and bilateral quantitative restrictions for clothing on welfare of consumers and producers specifically, the resource cost of this policy for Canada as a whole, and the implications of these policies for the future development of the clothing sector. This sector was chosen because it is a relatively important industry in Canada and illustrates clearly how protection has generated both economic waste and perverse restructuring of the industry.
|Date of creation:||Apr 1985|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://www.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- G. K. Helleiner, 1978. "Market Structure and Buyer Characteristics in Canadian Imports of Manufactures from Low-Wage Countries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 11(2), pages 324-33, May.
- Glenn Jenkins & GRAHAM GLENDAY & JOHN EVANS, 1982. "Worker Adjustment Policies: An Alternative To Protectionism," Development Discussion Papers 1982-02, JDI Executive Programs.
- Ophir, Tsvi, 1969. "The Interaction of Tariffs and Quotas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 1002-05, December.
- Glenn Jenkins & GRAHAM GLENDAY & JOHN EVANS & CLAUDE MONTMARQUETTE, 1978. "Trade Adjustment Assistance: The Costs Of Adjustment And Policy Proposals," Development Discussion Papers 1978-04, JDI Executive Programs.
- McCulloch, Rachel & Johnson, Harry G, 1973. "A Note on Proportionally Distributed Quotas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(4), pages 726-32, September.
- Falvey, Rodney E, 1979. "The Composition of Trade within Import-restricted Product Categories," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 1105-14, October.
- G. Yadav, 1972. "Discriminatory Aspects of Canada's Imports of Manufactured Goods from the Less Developed Countries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 5(1), pages 70-83, February.
- Gopal J. Yadav, 1968. "A Note on the Equivalence of Tariffs and Quotas," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 1(1), pages 105-110, February.
- Robin W. Boadway & John M. Treddenick, 1978. "A General Equilibrium Computation of the Effects of the Canadian Tariff Structure," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 11(3), pages 424-46, August.
- Paul Wonnacott & Ronald J. Wonnacott, 1982. "Free Trade between the United States and Canada: Fifteen Years Later," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 8(s1), pages 412-427, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:qed:dpaper:67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bahman Kashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.