New imperialism or new capitalism?
Over the past century, the institution of capital and the process of its accumulation have been fundamentally transformed. By contrast, the theories that explain this institution and process have remained largely unchanged. The purpose of this paper is to address this mismatch. Using a broad brush, we outline a new, power theory of capital and accumulation. We use this theory to assess the changing meaning of the corporation and the capitalist state, the new ways in which capital gets accumulated and the specific historical trajectory of twentieth-century capitalism up to the present.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Publication status:||Published in Review 1.XXIX(2006): pp. 1-86|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. M. Keynes, 1937. "The General Theory of Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(2), pages 209-223.
- repec:zbw:esmono:157972 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jonathan Nitzan & Shimshon Bichler, 2001. "Going global: differential accumulation and the great U-turn in South Africa and Israel," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 33(1), pages 21-55, March.
- Harcourt,G. C., 1972.
"Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521096720, December.
- Harcourt, G C, 1969. "Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 369-405, June.
- repec:zbw:espost:157771 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rowley, Robin & Bichler, Shimshon & Nitzan, Jonathan, 1989. "The Armadollar-Petrodollar Coalition and the Middle East," EconStor Preprints 157847, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- repec:zbw:espost:157978 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joan Robinson, 1953. "The Production Function and the Theory of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 81-106.
- Bichler, Shimshon & Rowley, Robin & Nitzan, Jonathan, 1989. "The Armadollar-Petrodollar Coalition: Demise or New Order?," EconStor Preprints 157848, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- Obstfeld,Maurice & Taylor,Alan M., 2005. "Global Capital Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521671798, December.
- Obstfeld,Maurice & Taylor,Alan M., 2004. "Global Capital Markets," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521633178, December.
- Harvey, David, 2005. "The New Imperialism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199278084, April.
- Harvey, David, 2003. "The New Imperialism," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199264315, April.
- repec:zbw:espost:157769 is not listed on IDEAS
- Steedman, Ian, 1975. "Positive Profits with Negative Surplus Value," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 85(337), pages 114-123, March.
- Nitzan, Jonathan, 1989. "Price and Quantity Measurements: Theoretical Biases in Empirical Procedures," EconStor Preprints 157849, ZBW - German National Library of Economics.
- repec:zbw:espost:157772 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:5578. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.