Free disposal, monotonicity and equilibrium
This paper studies the effect of free disposal on the existence of Walrasian equilibrium for exchange economies with indivisible objects. It is shown that allowing an agent to enjoy free disposal has the same effect for generating an equilibrium (or eliminating existing equilibria) as allowing every agent to enjoy free disposal. A new equilibrium existence theorem is given to show how this observation can enhance the existence results by Kelso and Crawford (1982) and Sun and Yang (2006).
|Date of creation:||13 Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gul, Faruk & Stacchetti, Ennio, 1999. "Walrasian Equilibrium with Gross Substitutes," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 95-124, July.
- Ning Sun & Zaifu Yang, 2006. "Equilibria and Indivisibilities: Gross Substitutes and Complements," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(5), pages 1385-1402, 09.
- Ma, Jinpeng, 1998.
"Competitive Equilibrium with Indivisibilities,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 458-468, October.
- Jinpeng Ma, 1998. "Competitive Equilibrium with Indivisibilities," Departmental Working Papers 199809, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Mamer, John W., 1997. "Competitive Equilibrium in an Exchange Economy with Indivisibilities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 385-413, June.
- Kelso, Alexander S, Jr & Crawford, Vincent P, 1982. "Job Matching, Coalition Formation, and Gross Substitutes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1483-1504, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:42585. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.