A Human Development Approach to the Status of Development in North East India
The present paper is an attempt to highlight the status of development in North East India using human development approach. The study reveals that India in spite of having a fast growing economy and pursuing the policy of liberalization and globalization since early eighties has not been able to achieve much on account of human development and welfare. Human development index is below 0.6 in the country and much below in its North Eastern Region. Rural-urban disparity, gender disparity and uneven human development across the States in the region are quite significant. The disturbing trend of increasing gender disparity in Nagaland and escalating rural-urban gap, particularly in the States of Assam and Meghalaya is a matter of concern.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalpana Bardhan & Stephan Klasen, 1998.
"UNDP's Gender-Related Indices: A Critical Review,"
Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007)
HDOCPA-1998-03, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Sudhir Anand & Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of the Human Development Index," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106.
- Satya R. Chakravarty, 2003. "A Generalized Human Development Index," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 99-114, February.
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 2000. "The Income Component of Human Development Index," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2000-01, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Sudhir Anand & Martin Ravallion, 1993. "Human Development in Poor Countries: On the Role of Private Incomes and Public Services," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 133-150, Winter.
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 1995. "Gender Inequality in Human Development: Theories and Measurement," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-1995-01, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30499. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.