قياس الكفاءة الفنية لبنوك دول مجلس التعاون الخليجي
[Testing technical efficiency of banks in GCC countries]
The paper investigates efficiency performance of thirty six banks operating in Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries during the period 2006-2008 . Our results indicate in general GCC banks showed considerable pure technical efficiency in the past three years with the year 2007 exhibit the most efficient year, as the number of pure technical efficient banks reached 33 percent of the total banks compared to 25 percent in 2008. The fall in technical efficiency in 2008 is due to simultaneous fall in pure technical efficiency and the scale efficiency. The output loss caused by scale inefficiency (fall of scale operations below optimum level) in 2008 is estimated 16 percent compared to 5 percent in 2007. Our results also indicate scale efficiency is inversely related to banks' size implying a major source of scale inefficiency in GCC banks is due to sub-optimal size of operations. It is also indicated in the paper that scale efficiency is inversely related to risk, implying effective risk management policies may also enhance scale efficiency.
|Date of creation:||2011/03/20|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Onour, Ibrahim & Abdalla, Abdelgadir, 1/25. "Technical efficiency analysis of banks in major oil exporting Middle East countries," MPRA Paper 29884, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miller, Stephen M. & Noulas, Athanasios G., 1996. "The technical efficiency of large bank production," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 495-509, April.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J. B., 2003. "Efficiency in Japanese banking: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 891-917, May.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Golany, B. & Seiford, L. & Stutz, J., 1985. "Foundations of data envelopment analysis for Pareto-Koopmans efficient empirical production functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 91-107.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29991. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.