The analysis of the total factors productivity growth in waemu banks: the x efficiency approach
In this paper, we make an analysis of productivity’s gaps in WAEMU’s banks; the intra-organizational strategy is privileged. For that purpose, we study the progression of the global factors productivity using the Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA), and then the X efficiency scores are calculated using stochastical frontier approach (SFA). The study period (2002 to 2006) corresponds to the post financial liberalization in the zone and to a changed banking and financial environment. We find that the global productivity of the factors remained relatively unchanged but that globally the X efficiency of the banks lightly decreased, remaining nevertheless at a relatively high level of the order of 80% .Big banks, of the viewpoint of their size and the private and semi-public banks, of the viewpoint of their capital structure, have the biggest mean scores of X efficiency.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emili Tortosa Ausina, 2002.
"Sensitivity Analysis Of Efficiency And Malmquist Productivity Indices: An Application To Spanish Savings Banks,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2002-30, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Tortosa-Ausina, Emili & Grifell-Tatje, Emili & Armero, Carmen & Conesa, David, 2008. "Sensitivity analysis of efficiency and Malmquist productivity indices: An application to Spanish savings banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(3), pages 1062-1084, February.
- Grifell-Tatje, E. & Lovell, C. A. K., 1997. "The sources of productivity change in Spanish banking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 364-380, April.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Sandrine Kablan, 2009. "Mesure de la Performance des Banques dans les Pays en Développement : Le Cas de l'UEMOA (Union Economique et Monétaire Ouest Africaine)," African Development Review, African Development Bank, vol. 21(2), pages 367-399.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:24470. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.