Monetary Expansion and Converging Speed in a Growing Economy
This paper explores the effect of monetary policy on the speed of convergence. Using a neoclassical monetary growth model with a cash-in-advance constraint, we conduct numerical evaluation of the effect of changes in the growth rate of money supply on the converging speed of the economy. We find that, in contrast to fiscal actions, a change in monetary policy may produce little impact on the converging speed. This result indicates that the growth effect of inflation established in the theoretical models of money and growth would be extremely small, if we evaluated it quantitatively.
|Date of creation:||May 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rebelo, S. & Xie, D., 1996.
"On the Optimality of Interest Rate Smoothing,"
RCER Working Papers
427, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Fischer, Stanley, 1979. "Capital Accumulation on the Transition Path in a Monetary Optimizing Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(6), pages 1433-39, November.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- Robert G. King & Sergio T. Rebelo, 1989.
"Transitional Dynamics and Economic Growth in the Neoclassical Model,"
NBER Working Papers
3185, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, Robert G & Rebelo, Sergio T, 1993. "Transitional Dynamics and Economic Growth in the Neoclassical Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 908-31, September.
- King, R.G. & Rebelo, S.T., 1989. "Transitional Dynamics And Economic Growth In The Neoclassical Model," RCER Working Papers 206, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.