The day of the week effects in Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia stock market
Efficient market stated that stock’s return is indifferent in each trading day. But, the day of the week effects phenomenon made a different return in each single day in a week. This is an abnormal return which can affect investor in deciding investment strategy, portfolio selection, and profit management. We are researching the day of the week effects in Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia stock markets in order to get the information whether this anomaly is exist or not at the three countries. We use AR-EGARCH econometric models to answer our objective. The result shows that there is positive abnormal return on Friday in Indonesia and Malaysia. However, there is no Friday positive abnormal return in Singapore. Besides, our study also concludes that there is no Monday negative abnormal return in all of three countries.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Syed Basher & Perry Sadorsky, 2006.
"Day-of-the-week effects in emerging stock markets,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(10), pages 621-628.
- Glenn Pettengill, 2002. "Payment For Risk: Constant Beta Vs. Dual-Beta Models," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 123-135, 05.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Hess, Patrick, 1981. "Day of the Week Effects and Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 579-96, October.
- Jeffrey Jaffe & R. Westerfield, . "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 3-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Chia, Ricky Chee-Jiun & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Syed Khalid Wafa, Syed Azizi Wafa, 2007.
"Day-of-the-week effects in selected East Asian stock markets,"
7299, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Ricky Chee-Jiun Chia & Syed Azizi Wafa Syed Khalid Wafa, 2008. "Day-of-the-week effects in Selected East Asian stock markets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 7(5), pages 1-8.
- Jaffe, Jeffrey F & Westerfield, Randolph, 1985. " The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 433-54, June.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Reinganum, Marc R., 1981. "Misspecification of capital asset pricing : Empirical anomalies based on earnings' yields and market values," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 19-46, March.
- Zainudin Arsad & J. Andrew Coutts, 1997. "Security price anomalies in the London International Stock Exchange: a 60 year perspective," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 455-464.
- Kato, Kiyoshi & Schallheim, James S., 1985. "Seasonal and Size Anomalies in the Japanese Stock Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 243-260, June.
- Josef Lakonishok, Seymour Smidt, 1988. "Are Seasonal Anomalies Real? A Ninety-Year Perspective," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(4), pages 403-425.
- Chris Brooks & Gita Persand, 2001. "Seasonality in Southeast Asian stock markets: some new evidence on day-of-the-week effects," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 155-158.
- Ariel, Robert A., 1987. "A monthly effect in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 161-174, March.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Jeffrey Jaffe & R. Westerfield, . "The Week-End Effect in Common Stock Returns: The International Evidence," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 03-85, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16873. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.