Estimation in semiparametric spatial regression
Nonparametric methods have been very popular in the last couple of decades in time series and regression, but no such development has taken place for spatial models. A rather obvious reason for this is the curse of dimensionality. For spatial data on a grid evaluating the conditional mean given its closest neighbors requires a four-dimensional nonparametric regression. In this paper a semiparametric spatial regression approach is proposed to avoid this problem. An estimation procedure based on combining the so-called marginal integration technique with local linear kernel estimation is developed in the semiparametric spatial regression setting. Asymptotic distributions are established under some mild conditions. The same convergence rates as in the one-dimensional regression case are established. An application of the methodology to the classical Mercer and Hall wheat data set is given and indicates that one directional component appears to be nonlinear, which has gone unnoticed in earlier analyses.
|Date of creation:||May 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in The Annals of Statistics 3.34(2006): pp. 1395-1435|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gao, Jiti & Lu, Zudi & Tjostheim, Dag, 2003. "Semiparametric spatial regression: theory and practice," MPRA Paper 11991, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2006.
- Marc Hallin & Michel Carbon & Lanh T. Tran, 1996. "Kernel density estimation on random fields: the L1 theory," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2065, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Hallin & Zudi Lu & Lanh T. Tran, 2001. "Density estimation for spatial linear processes," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2109, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1999.
"The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
300, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver Linton & Enno Mammen & N Nielsen, 2000. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm under Weak Conditions," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2000/386, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Enno Mammen & Oliver Linton & J Nielsen, 2000. "The existence and asymptotic properties of a backfitting projection algorithm under weak conditions," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2315, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Oliver Linton & E. Mammen & J. Nielsen, 1997. "The Existence and Asymptotic Properties of a Backfitting Projection Algorithm Under Weak Conditions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1160, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Marc Hallin & Zudi Lu & Lanh T. Tran, 2004. "Local linear spatial regression," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/2131, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Tran, Lanh Tat, 1990. "Kernel density estimation on random fields," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 37-53, July.
- Marc Hallin & Zudi Lu & Lanh T. Tran, 2004.
"Kernel density estimation for spatial processes: the L1 theory,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/2127, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hallin, Marc & Lu, Zudi & Tran, Lanh T., 2004. "Kernel density estimation for spatial processes: the L1 theory," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 61-75, January.
- Lu, Zudi & Chen, Xing, 2004. "Spatial kernel regression estimation: weak consistency," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 125-136, June.
- Sperlich, Stefan & Tj stheim, Dag & Yang, Lijian, 2002.
"Nonparametric Estimation And Testing Of Interaction In Additive Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 197-251, April.
- Sperlich, Stefan & Tjøstheim, Dag & Yang, Lijian, 1998. "Nonparametric estimation and testing of interaction in additive models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1998,14, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Hardle, Wolfgang & LIang, Hua & Gao, Jiti, 2000. "Partially linear models," MPRA Paper 39562, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Tran, L. T. & Yakowitz, S., 1993. "Nearest Neighbor Estimators for Random Fields," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 23-46, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11971. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.