The Effect of Capital Requirement Regulation on the Transmission of Monetary Policy: Evidence from Austria
This paper analyzes the role of bank capitalization on the transmission of monetary policy, using a quarterly dataset for Austrian banks spanning from 1997 to 2003. A substantial understanding of the transmission mechanism in different countries of the euro zone is not only of academic interest, but also an important prerequisite for central bankers to effectively accomplish their monetary policy goals. While we do find evidence in favor of the bank lending channel, with an important role active for capitalization, we are unable to confirm whether the bank capital channel is in force in Austria. Our results indicate some counter-cyclicality in lending activity, a finding that is in line with the existing Austrian literature.
|Date of creation:||23 May 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7205
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7299
Web page: http://www.oenb.at/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Economic Studies Division, c/o Beate Hofbauer-Berlakovich, POB 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marvin Goodfriend & Bennett T. McCallum, 2007.
"Banking and interest rates in monetary policy analysis: a quantitative exploration,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Goodfriend, Marvin & McCallum, Bennett T., 2007. "Banking and interest rates in monetary policy analysis: A quantitative exploration," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1480-1507, July.
- Marvin Goodfriend & Bennett T. McCallum, 2007. "Banking and Interest Rates in Monetary Policy Analysis: A Quantitative Exploration," NBER Working Papers 13207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philipp Engler,Terhi Jokipii,Christian Merkl & Pablo Rovira Kaltwasser,Lúcio Vinhas de Souza, 2005.
"The Effect of Capital Requirement Regulation on the Transmission of Monetary Policy: Evidence from Austria,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Philipp Engler & Terhi Jokipii & Christian Merkl & Pablo Rovira Kaltwasser & LÃºcio Vinhas de Souza, 2007. "The effect of capital requirement regulation on the transmission of monetary policy: evidence from Austria," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 34(5), pages 411-425, December.
- Philipp Engler & Terhi Jokipii & Pablo Rovira Kaltwasser & Christian Merkl & Lúcio Vinhas de Souza, 2005. "The Effect of Capital Requirement Regulation on the Transmission of Monetary Policy: Evidence from Austria," Working Papers 99, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Heid, Frank & Porath, Daniel & Stolz, Stéphanie, 2003. "Does capital regulation matter for bank behavior? Evidence for German savings banks," Kiel Working Papers 1192, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Merkl, Christian & Stolz, Stéphanie, 2006.
"Banks' regulatory buffers, liquidity networks and monetary policy transmission,"
Kiel Working Papers
1303, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Christian Merkl & Stephanie Stolz, 2009. "Banks' regulatory buffers, liquidity networks and monetary policy transmission," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(16), pages 2013-2024.
- Merkl, Christian & Stolz, Stéphanie, 2006. "Banks' regulatory buffers, liquidity networks and monetary policy transmission," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2006,06, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Mojon, Benoît & Kashyap, Anil K. & Angeloni, Ignazio & Terlizzese, Daniele, 2002. "Monetary Transmission in the Euro Area : Where Do We Stand?," Working Paper Series 0114, European Central Bank.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2003. "Bank Capital and Lending Behaviour: Empirical Evidence for Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 486, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Michael Ehrmann & Andreas Worms, 2004. "Bank Networks and Monetary Policy Transmission," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(6), pages 1148-1171, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbwp:99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Knell and Helmut Stix)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.