The Welfare Effects of a Capital Income Tax in an Open Economy
International capital mobility has typically been ignored in discussions of the welfare effects of the capital income tax. In the a typical analysis which does consider the open economy it is recognized that highly-elastic capital flows could significantly alter the usual conclusions. While there have been strenuous debates about the elasticity of international capital flows, there can be little disagreement that international ownership of capital is an important and growing phenomenon. In this paper, we explore the welfare effects of changes in the capital income tax from a different perspective: that of a country in which foreign ownership of a portion of the capital stock and foreign owners' payment of taxesis a reality. With this modification in emphasis, a simple graphical analysis is sufficient to indicate that international capital ownership could easily dominate other welfare effects of tax changes. At least, the arguments presented in this paper raise a caution about ignoring the openness of the economy simply because elasticities are believed small.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1985|
|Publication status:||Published as "Taxation and the Effects of Inflation on the Real Capitol Stock in an Open Economy", International Economic Review, Vol. 20, no. 2(1979): 417-426.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fullerton, Don & Lyon, Andrew B & Rosen, Richard J, 1984.
" Uncertainty, Welfare Cost and the "Adaptability" of U.S. Corporate Taxes,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(2), pages 229-243.
- Don Fullerton & Andrew B. Lyon & Richard J. Rosen, 1983. "Uncertainty, Welfare Cost, and the 'Adaptability' of U.S. Corporate Taxes," NBER Working Papers 1239, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1978. "The Welfare Cost of Capital Income Taxation," NBER Chapters,in: Research in Taxation, pages 29-51 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1978. "The Welfare Cost of Capital Income Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(2), pages 29-51, April.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 1983. "Corporate Taxation in the United States," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 14(2), pages 451-514. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)