Arbitrage and price revelation with private beliefs
We extend the Cornet-de Boisdeffre (2002-2009) asymmetric information finite dimensional model to a more general setting, where agents may forecast prices with some private uncertainty. This new model drops both Radner's (1972-1979) classical, but restrictive, assumptions of rational expectations and perfect foresight. It deals with sequential financial equilibrium, when agents, unaware of how equilibrium prices or quantities are determined, are prone to uncertainty between - possibly uncountable - forecasts. Under perfect foresight, the extended model coincides with Cornet-de Boisdeffre's (2002-2009). Yet, when anticipations are private, we argue any element of a typically uncountable ‘minimum uncertainty set’ may prevail as an equilibrium price tomorrow. This outcome is inconsistent with perfect foresight and appeals for a broader definition of sequential equilibrium, which we propose hereafter. By standard techniques, we embed and extend Cornet-de Boisdeffre's (2002-2009) results, to the infinite dimensional model. The aim is to lay foundations for another paper, showing that the concept of sequential equilibrium we propose may solve the classical existence problems of the perfect foresight model, following Hart (1974)
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel Boisdeffre, 2009.
"Elimination of arbitrage states in asymmetric information models,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 38(2), pages 287-293, February.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel De Boisdeffre, 2005. "Elimination Of Arbitrage States In Asymmetric Information Models," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200504, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2005.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel D Boisdeffre, 2009. "Elimination of Arbitrage States in Asymmetric Information Models," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200912, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2009.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel De Boisdeffre, 2009. "Elimination of arbitrage states in asymmetric information models," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00441895, HAL.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel De Boisdeffre, 2009. "Elimination of arbitrage states in asymmetric information models," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 09078, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1993. "Temporary general equilibrium theory," Handbook of Mathematical Economics,in: K. J. Arrow & M.D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 4, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 879-922 Elsevier.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977. "Temporary General Equilibrium Theory," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-572, April.
- Yves Balasko, 2003. "Temporary financial equilibrium," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 21(1), pages 1-18, 01.
- Yves Balasko, "undated". "Temporary Financial Equilibrium," GSIA Working Papers 2000-E45, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Cornet, Bernard & De Boisdeffre, Lionel, 2002. "Arbitrage and price revelation with asymmetric information and incomplete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 393-410, December.
- Green, Jerry R, 1973. "Temporary General Equilibrium in a Sequential Trading Model with Spot and Futures Transactions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1103-1123, November.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1974. "On the existence of equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 293-311, November.
- Hammond, Peter J., 1983. "Overlapping expectations and Hart's conditions for equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 170-175, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:12053. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.