Arbitrage and price revelation with private beliefs
We extend the Cornet-de Boisdeffre (2002-2009) asymmetric information finite dimensional model to a more general setting, where agents may forecast prices with some private uncertainty. This new model drops both Radner's (1972-1979) classical, but restrictive, assumptions of rational expectations and perfect foresight. It deals with sequential financial equilibrium, when agents, unaware of how equilibrium prices or quantities are determined, are prone to uncertainty between - possibly uncountable - forecasts. Under perfect foresight, the extended model coincides with Cornet-de Boisdeffre's (2002-2009). Yet, when anticipations are private, we argue any element of a typically uncountable 'minimum uncertainty set' may prevail as an equilibrium price tomorrow. This outcome is inconsistent with perfect foresight and appeals for a broader definition of sequential equilibrium, which we propose hereafter. By standard techniques, we embed and extend Cornet-de Boisdeffre's (2002-2009) results, to the infinite dimensional model. The aim is to lay foundations for another paper, showing that the concept of sequential equilibrium we propose may solve the classical existence problems of the perfect foresight model, following Hart (1974).
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 2012.53 - ISSN : 1955-611X. 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00722035|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1977.
"Temporary General Equilibrium Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 535-72, April.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Green, Jerry R, 1973. "Temporary General Equilibrium in a Sequential Trading Model with Spot and Futures Transactions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 1103-23, November.
- Cornet, Bernard & De Boisdeffre, Lionel, 2002. "Arbitrage and price revelation with asymmetric information and incomplete markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 393-410, December.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1974. "On the existence of equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 293-311, November.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel De Boisdeffre, 2005.
"Elimination Of Arbitrage States In Asymmetric Information Models,"
WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS
200504, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2005.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel Boisdeffre, 2009. "Elimination of arbitrage states in asymmetric information models," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 287-293, February.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel De Boisdeffre, 2009. "Elimination of arbitrage states in asymmetric information models," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00441895, HAL.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel De Boisdeffre, 2009. "Elimination of arbitrage states in asymmetric information models," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 09078, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Bernard Cornet & Lionel D Boisdeffre, 2009. "Elimination of Arbitrage States in Asymmetric Information Models," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200912, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2009.
- Hammond, Peter J., 1983. "Overlapping expectations and Hart's conditions for equilibrium in a securities model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 170-175, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00722035. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.