Regional and Sectoral Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal since Joining the EU: A Dynamic Portrait
Despite the very few studies regarding FDI in Portuguese regions - especially regarding its effects - FDI can be an important catalyst for regional economic development and growth. This work studies the existing FDI in the Portuguese regions, analysing its distribution by NUTS III, the sectors in which FDI has more weight in each region, as well as it evolution between 1986 and 2009. Over the years analysed, the results show an increase in the number of firms with FDI in Portugal, although their relative weight remained constant. At the same time, these firms spread to all regions of the country, besides the main economic and services agglomerations (Lisboa and Porto). The regions attracted not only FDI for the sectors in which they have already been specialized, but also for other activities, diversifying the regional productive structure. The increase and diversification of FDI coincided with the tertiarisation of the economy, approaching the totality of the productive specialization of the country, while continuing to focus on manufacturing.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenida da República no 79, 1050-243 Lisboa|
Phone: 21 799 81 50
Fax: 21 799 81 54
Web page: http://gee.min-economia.pt
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nuno Crespo & Maria Paula Fontoura & Isabel Proença, 2009.
"FDI spillovers at regional level: Evidence from Portugal,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(3), pages 591-607, 08.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2007. "FDI Spillovers at Regional Level: Evidence from Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2007/28, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2008. "FDI Spillovers at Regional Level: Evidence from Portugal," Working Papers Series 1 ercwp0508, ISCTE-IUL, Business Research Unit (BRU-IUL).
- Nuno CRESPO & Isabel PROENÇA & Maria Paula FONTOURA, 2012.
"The Spatial Dimension in FDI Spillovers: Evidence at the Regional Level from Portugal,"
Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies,
Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 12(1), pages 115-130.
- Nuno Crespo & Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura, 2010. "The Spatial Dimension in FDI Spillovers: Evidence at the Regional Level from Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 2010/17, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Natalia Barbosa & Paulo Guimaraes & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Foreign firm entry in an open economy: the case of Portugal," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 465-472.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mde:wpaper:0049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ricardo Pinheiro Alves)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.