Estimation of Cost Efficiency of Australian Universities
The purpose of this paper is to quantify the efficiency with which Australian universities utilise their teaching resources. The study estimates the cost efficiency of 36 universities over the period 1995-2002 using stochastic frontier analysis. The present study differs from previous cost and efficiency studies of Australian universities in two respects. First, it employs stochastic frontier analysis for the specification of a cost function for Australian universities which allows for the estimation of cost efficiency for each university under study. Second, a panel data set is utilised in the estimation of the cost function which enables not only comparisons of cost efficiency between universities but also an econometric testing of the assumption of an identical cost function for every university. The main finding is that universities are not operating efficiently as measured by cost efficiency and in relative terms. An efficiency ranking is derived and policy inferences are discussed.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.mq.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen P. King, 2001. "The Funding of Higher Education in Australia: Overview and Alternatives," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 34(2), pages 190-194.
- Bruce Chapman, 2001.
"Australian Higher Education Financing: Issues for Reform,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
434, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Bruce Chapman, 2001. "Australian Higher Education Financing: Issues for Reform," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 34(2), pages 195-204.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2001. "Investigating technical and scale efficiencies of Australian Universities through data envelopment analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-80, March.
- Simon Marginson, 2001. "Trends in the Funding of Australian Higher Education," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 34(2), pages 205-215.
- Throsby, C D, 1986. "Cost Functions for Australian Universities," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(47), pages 175-92, December.
- Melville L. McMillan & Debasish Datta, 1998. "The Relative Efficiencies of Canadian Universities: A DEA Perspective," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(4), pages 485-511, December.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521818551 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990.
"Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989. "Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels," Working Papers 89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521522717 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roger Carrington & Tim Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005. "The Performance Of Australian Universities: Conceptual Issues And Preliminary Results," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 24(2), pages 145-163, 06.
- Hay, Donald A & Liu, Guy S, 1997. "The Efficiency of Firms: What Difference Does Competition Make?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 597-617, May.
- Peter Abelson, 2005. "Surveying University Student Standards In Economics," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 24(2), pages 116-132, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mac:wpaper:0502. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Boneham)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.